VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone. I am fairly new to video, let alone HD video..but i have really learned a TON from reading these forums. I have been messing around with my new HF200 and I LOVE it. however, I have a question that seems to have gone unanswered; I have looked this up a lot.

I understand this camera does not shoot 24p natively. I know what that means, i.e., it is in some sort of pulldown configuration. because of this, it is very frustrating to edit (I am using Premiere pro CS5) because one would have to remove the pulldown somehow. I have not tried this, but I know there is software to do it. it is not cheap.

My question then is this: If one KNOWS they are going to be editing video with software, does it make more sense to shoot in PF30 and THEN save the video in 23.976? In other words, import the 29.97 video into CS5, and then export it in the 23.976 FPS (instead of 24, for a good ratio of 5:4). I tried this out, and it seems to look fine. I just am not sure what is going on here. It seems like this would solve the problem, no? Once again, to reitterate my logic: if we are trying to REMOVE pulldown from a 24p file, why not just record it in 30p in the first place and THEN save it to a 24p file when we export it from CS5. It seems to make sense, at least to me. I would even dare to say the CS5 algorithms for getting the lower frame-rate might even be better than the cameras. let me now if i am insane, or a genius, or this is what people are doing. Thank you!

Dave
    Last edited by Coldbricks; 15th Jun 2010 at 13:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Coldbricks View Post

My question then is this: If one KNOWS they are going to be editing video with software, does it make more sense to shoot in PF30 and THEN save the video in 23.976? In other words, import the 29.97 video into CS5, and then export it in the 23.976 FPS (instead of 24, for a good ratio of 5:4). I tried this out, and it seems to look fine. I just am not sure what is going on here. It seems like this would solve the problem, no? Once again, to reitterate my logic: if we are trying to REMOVE pulldown from a 24p file, why not just record it in 30p in the first place and THEN save it to a 24p file when we export it from CS5. It seems to make sense, at least to me. I would even dare to say the CS5 algorithms for getting the lower frame-rate might even be better than the cameras. let me now if i am insane, or a genius, or this is what people are doing. Thank you!

Dave
    Without questioning why 24p, no you shouldn't shoot 30p then output 24p. That causes all frames to be re synthesized. If you want 24, shoot 24 then remove the pad fields.

Easiest way is use Cineform Neoscene ($129 list) digital intermediate which will take 24pf in and export 24fps Cineform digital intermediate.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote