VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Not getting the warning now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm running O.K. now. I did a file scan with AVG and it found 10 suspect files which it killed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    3 different pc's
    3 different av's (NOD, Avira free and Avast)
    2 different os's (Xp and Win 7)

i never got a warning about anything
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully fixed now. But please post if you get any warnings.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Interesting. Since we have a confirmed infection, it would appear that AVG is the only program warning about it.

Perhaps the others stop it with no warning? Or do they see it at all?

What is the result of a totally unprotected PC being exposed to the bug?
    Quote Quote  
  6. baldrick has fixed it avira has blocked this for the past 7 days on my puter wll done to baldrick
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I never saw a warning, not last night, and not this morning. I'm using Chrome and Avast.

I did a full system scan anyway with MalwareBytes and Avast. Two problems turned up, but I don't think either was due to visiting VideoHelp. One was definitely related to downloading VLC from a bad source by mistake. The other could have come from any where.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    ASF/WMA/WMV videos can force a call to a webpage link, I believe. It wouldn't surprise me if someone was using that for an exploit.
    That's the big reason why I always get rid of the
    "\%Program Files%\Windows Media Player\np*.*"
    (and of their dllcache backups as well)
    before installing K-Meleon, Seamonkey and Opera.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    I'm using Firefox

file name it's warning of :
    URL: php.opensourcecms.com/include/e.php
    Name: Microsoft Help & Support (type 1302)
    [IMG]chrome://searchshield/content/box_bottom_red.gif[/IMG]

you made slashdot as the first website to be used for this winXP 0 day exploit. and they didn't even out the videohelp site as the perp!
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    odd that only some members had the issues...I never got any warnings but all in all glad to hear it's fixed. I stopped using AVG a long time ago.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't get any warnings but WMP (which I never use) kept popping up and the Windows Support Center kept popping up with script error with pretty much the same info that wulf109 posted. I got it both in IE and Firefox.

Turning off scripting fixed the problem which it always does since hackers use scripting to attack websites. I always turn scripting off when browsing the internet. I only use it on sites that I trust where I need to use it. I thought videohelp was one of the sites I could trust.

If sites that I don't trust force me to use scripting then I don't visit those sites. It bums me out when I'm on a site I trust and someone posts a link to a site that attacks my PC. That happened to me last week on this site and I got hit by something that I hadn't witnessed since early 2000. Websites popping up one after another that I could not close and had to turn the power off to my computer to stop it.

I ran Malwarebytes last night and it had three instances of Support Center in the registry that it flagged as malicious.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    odd that only some members had the issues...I never got any warnings but all in all glad to hear it's fixed. I stopped using AVG a long time ago.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/322144-AVG-Virus-warning-on-this-Website?p=1994739&...=1#post1994739

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/322144-AVG-Virus-warning-on-this-Website?p=1994745&...=1#post1994745

Me either....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    this one was a windows XP only exploit.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    getting the following when clicking on a tool from the front page

Table 'openx.toolssections' doesn't exist
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Still some problems. I'm going to install modsecurity that will help against some injections attacks until I found the bug in the code.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I'm running Avast and Firefox with NoScript...no more problems and never had a virus warning of any kind...just that
    new NoScript warning about opensourcecms.
    Ditto for me, except that I'm still running FF 3.019, but never had any complaints from the latest NoScript, and I do check VH pretty much daily.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    I run XP Pro on most of my computers....still didn't get anything....yet.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You must've had scripting turned off.

It only happened for me the night before last. I turned scripting off and the problem went away. Turned scripting back on yesterday and everything was OK.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got warnings with Norton Internet Security 2008 and WMP kept popping up
    and the Windows Support Center kept popping up with script error.
    I'm running XP SP3, and haven't updated for a while.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm running XP with Firefox 3.6.3. No Script is allowing scripts on this page but AdBlock is still enabled here. I have Avast. No warning so far, and Avast has always been pretty good with obvious warnings when it finds something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    You must've had scripting turned off.

It only happened for me the night before last. I turned scripting off and the problem went away. Turned scripting back on yesterday and everything was OK.
    I use AdBlock along with the latest version of Firefox and I didn't turn off any scripting of any sort. Avast has been solid for me as others have mentioned the same. No virus/spyware warnings for me so far since all of this began.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use adblock in firefox but I turned off scripting and it stopped. I use a Host file to block ads but that mediastore ad at the top is pretty persistant. The Hosts file used to block it but not anymore.

I have Avast also and the reason I didm't get a warning is because it's not a virus or a trojan. Someone just hacked the websites script. Not sure why AVG saw it as a virus.

I removed Sun Java and tried MS Virtual Machine but that didn't help. I thought I'd try it since Java has been pegged as either virus by Avast in the past or malicios software by Firefox. I've never trusted that software which has been pegged a virus on numerous occasions. The only reason I have it is because SageTV won't work without it.

I've noticed a few weird things on this site since they changed it. Probably someone trying to show everyone that V-Bulletin is not as safe as everyone bragged that it was. My football forum is V-Bulletin and everyone was getting slammed with crap for about the first year after they decided to use it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^^I've never had issues with Java being pegged as a virus in Avast or malicious software in Firefox.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe it was pegged as malware instead of a virus, not sure exactly which but it was one of the two. It would make more sense if it was malware since it allows hackers to do whatever they want if you use it. Firefox recommended that I uninstall it and then downloaded and installed a java plugin.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 17th Jun 2010 at 13:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use a Host file to block ads but that mediastore ad at the top is pretty persistant. The Hosts file used to block it but not anymore.
    Can you supply some details on that ? I recall reading something about using that approach, but did not follow up on it then and no longer recall the details.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I use a Host file to block ads but that mediastore ad at the top is pretty persistant. The Hosts file used to block it but not anymore.
    Can you supply some details on that ? I recall reading something about using that approach, but did not follow up on it then and no longer recall the details.
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't want to implement that full HOSTS file. It blocks way too much legitimate traffic. You'll find lots of websites won't work correctly anymore, and you'll get a lot of 404's when you shouldn't.

You're much better off blocking things one by one as you come to them.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    You don't want to implement that full HOSTS file. It blocks way too much legitimate traffic. You'll find lots of websites won't work correctly anymore, and you'll get a lot of 404's when you shouldn't.

You're much better off blocking things one by one as you come to them.
    Thanks LS. Maybe that's why I passed on it, some time ago.

Still, I encounter plenty of pop-ups, pop-unders, ugly ad banners, obnoxious flyover graphics blocking something that you did want to see, etc. that remain untouched by the combo of NoScript, AdBlock Plus with filterset, and BlockSite extensions to FireFox. So, there remains a significant gap to be covered. (I also use Nuke Anything Enhanced, which can be effective for many elements, but loses the removal anytime you refresh or change to another page.)

Any other suggestions for this ?
    Last edited by Seeker47; 20th Jun 2010 at 11:00.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have any problems with it killing legitmate websites. I get a lot of 404s but they for all the banner ads on the webpage.
    There is a reason all those addresses are on the Hosts list just like there is a reason that Virus or malware lists everything they do in their definitions.

Some webites may take a little longer to load while it searches for all the ads to kill but it's worth it for me. It doesn't just block banner ads but parasites that come with them.

Here is the text file...

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

If you see anything there that shouldn't be there then you can remove it but I doubt that you will. Why wait to get slammed by something evil before you decide to do something about it.

For malicious webpages that don't get blocked, I use NoAds to manually block them.

I only use scripting for sites that I trust and need it for important functions like my bank and a handfull of furums. I turn scripting off while surfing the web. I also turn off cookies and using websites I trust, I turn off third party cookies.

My friend is constantly getting virus and trojans on his other computer because his daughter in law is always surfing stupid sites that are filled with parasites. If he'd install the Hosts file and turn off scripting and cookies he could avoid having to reinstall windows once a month but he's afraid it might cause him problems so he'd rather keep installing windows rather than fix the problem.
    Quote Quote