VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I keep getting a Hijacker for Windows Security Center. I kill it eterminate it,but it keeps popping up. Is this a real virus? I turned on automatic updates and that seems to have stopped it but of course I'm now being bugged to install updates.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is telling you have this hijacker ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    An anti-virus program called Xterminate it,which I've used for two years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Download, update and run MalWareBytes just to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Download, update and run MalWareBytes just to be sure.
    yes. do this
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Malwarebytes or Superantispyware should take care of any issues your having right now but as far as the app your using now, Xterminate it or Exterminate It! is an anti-malware/spyware suite and is considered not very reliable. I would do away with it. It does nothing for anti-virus. Get Avira free, it will do what you need. To get rid of the Nag screen(advertisement to upgrade to the premium version), go here and follow the instructions. I use it, works great.
    Quote Quote  
  7. simple way to kill Avira nag screen

http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm

I agree with the others about Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition.scan under safe mode and turn system restore off before you scan
    Quote Quote  
  8. I agree with using Malwarebytes and SAS, also use Avast free:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20007246-245.html?tag=mncol;title
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen anti-malware programs (such as Spybot and Ad-Aware) pop up warnings about the Security Center being disabled, or Automatic Updates not being enabled. For the former, some antivirus/security suites apparently also do that (disable the Security Center) to avoid conflicts or multiple messages/alerts. Of course, malware will do it, too.

To be sure, of course, I agree with everyone else here, and run scans on your system with Malwarebytes and a different virus scanner. If you know for certain that your system isn't infected with anything, and that you or a (safe) program you're using has disabled Security Center or Automatic Updates, you can then perhaps ignore the warnings about those two items.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always turn all that MS crap off when I install XP anyway. It sounds like his computer has been taken over though. The link I posted referred to this.

I would install HiJackThis and post a HiJackThis log.

http://test.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis

You can post your log at a few different forums to get help.

http://hjt-data.trendmicro.com/hjt/analyzethis/index.php
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well working in a repair shop i can give some good advise and some bad. i agree with using malware but i would stay away from superantispyware as we ran it and then ran malware after and it found way more than that of superantispyware. also i agree with installing avast as it is pretty strong for detecting and ridding of virii. but make sure you do a bootscan as if you dont the file may replicate before you can get rid of it. and thats all i have to say about that.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Run both. SAS and MBAM both tend to find things the other misses if you have major infections.
    Quote Quote