VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, I am new to video editing. I have a Sony HDR SR12 camcorder that I have recorded video in HD. Oblivious to the fact I wouldn't be able to burn the footage to a "normal" DVD I am converting the video to SD. My question is when I saved the video over to my desktop I have 3 files for every clip that I had filmed. I have a .m2ts, a .modd, and a .moff file.

When I do my conversion I choose the .m2ts file and use that as my master file. I have only converted a file or two, but it seemed to work out just fine so far. What I am wondering is what are the other .modd and .moff files? My camcorder in the past has always had tapes that I could save for future use, but this one has a hard drive. I haven't ever erased anything off the camcorder and quite frankly don't want to until I have to. However, being a precatious person I have saved the files (in multiple places) that I have recorded.

Do the .modd and .moff files need to stay with the .m2ts? I assume they do as they saved together. I am just curious what the other two types are.

Thank you!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Short answer is no, you don't need them on your PC. They are for in-camera functions only, and are not necessary for conversion or PC playback.

See this entry in the Sony knowledge base : http://www.sony.com.au/support/faq/362679/productcategory/cam+camcorder
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks so much that link was a great reference!!!

Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Short answer is no, you don't need them on your PC. They are for in-camera functions only, and are not necessary for conversion or PC playback.

See this entry in the Sony knowledge base : http://www.sony.com.au/support/faq/362679/productcategory/cam+camcorder
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi guns1inger, I know it is an old thread, but a "thanks" is never too late. You have answered a nagging question I have had since 2009. Thank you.
    Quote Quote