VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So far I've used DVD+R DLs from Memorex and Fuji, and they sometimes work. After a little bit of internet research I discovered that this machine is not entirely compatible with those types of discs. No biggie, I'll just get some DVD-R DLs which this machine is compatible with. I found a pack of RiDATA DVD-R DLs which are read flawlessly by the machine and record fine until the machine switches layers. After the machine switches layers on the disc an error message appears and the machine stops recording and opens the disc tray. It appears that the only other manufactures of DVD-R DLs are Verbatim and JVC.

Have any of you out there had any similar problems? Could any of you offer any advise? Are there problems with Verbatim and JVC discs too?

Could this lack of Double Layer support be Panasonic's way of wanting consumers to use DVD-RAM discs instead?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim DL are the best and most reliable to use. Don't even bother trying any others.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i agree...
    _
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, buy your Verbatim online, not in the stores (actually, SAM's has the best deals i've seen).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by mobie29 View Post
    Also, buy your Verbatim online, not in the stores (actually, SAM's has the best deals i've seen).
    Not even Micro Center? May I ask why is it preferred to buy them online? Is it just cost or are the stock that are sold in stores worse quality than the ones that are sold online?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trust me, the brands on Micro Center i would not touch like Ritek or even Sony. My ceiling is around $1.30 per disc for Verbatim. Try newegg.com or supermediastore.com for these. Sometimes Best Buy has them on sale for $29.99 for 20, but even that is still a little high. Every one i have bought online i've had no problems. Usually they are 4x or 2.4x.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Micro Center would be fine too. It's just that online is usually cheaper and if you can find a Sams with Verb DLs left they will probably be $39.95 for 50 which is a great deal. Most Sams around here are sold out of the Verbs(which previously sold for $59.95 which was a decent deal) and now Sams stocks only Memorex
    If at Micro Center don't be tempted by the cheap Windata DL media. I tried a spindle in my Panasonics and had awful luck, Verbs work about as good as DL media gets and I'd suggest the 2.4x over the 8x if you have a choice.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by mobie29 View Post
    Trust me, the brands on Micro Center i would not touch like Ritek or even Sony. My ceiling is around $1.30 per disc for Verbatim. Try newegg.com or supermediastore.com for these. Sometimes Best Buy has them on sale for $29.99 for 20, but even that is still a little high. Every one i have bought online i've had no problems. Usually they are 4x or 2.4x.
    My research for Verbatim DVD-R DLs (three-pack):
    Micro Center: $10.99
    Amazon.com: $11.86 (through Shoplet)
    Newegg.com: $13.99

I was surprised to see Newegg as the most expensive. Maybe there will be a sale soon.

So can I return the crappy RiDATA discs or not? I took the packaging off and used a few of them. I'm pretty sure I kept the receipt, either in my wallet or in my car. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with Micro Center's return policies because I've never had to return anything!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After reading the specs on your particular Panasonic model, I don't think that unit records to DL discs. Check your owner's manual.

This link says it does: https://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders/panasonic-dmr-ez48v/2347

But some of the dealer links don't list DL. That's why you need to check your manual.

EDIT: Never mind. Consumer reports says it does. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/audio-video/blu-ray-and-dvd-p...v-99020931.htm

Yeah. Buy Verbatims, I guess. But I'm not real sure about -R DLS. The +Rs are reliable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Newegg is rarely the cheapest option on anything -- it's just a popular one.
    Sort of like Walmart, Dollar Store or Big Lots. Not everything is the best price at those places.

CR is hardly the watchdog for DVD recorders. Lots of bad info in there in the past.

Either use Verbatim DVD+R DL (best prices usually at Amazon, no tax and free shipping) or don't use DL media.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, if you go to the store to pick up some Verbatim +Rs, make sure it says "Made in Singapore" on the packaging. If it says "Made in India" or anything other than Singapore, DO NOT BUY THEM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's just a myth. The discs from India are made the same, with the same materials and oversight, as the ones from Singapore. The 2.4x come from Singapore, the 8x come from India.

Verbatim has confirmed this more times than I can count.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    That's just a myth. The discs from India are made the same, with the same materials and oversight, as the ones from Singapore. The 2.4x come from Singapore, the 8x come from India.

Verbatim has confirmed this more times than I can count.
    I'm not sure that those numbers are entirely correct. This is what I have found from my personal buys.

1) If I buy the white ink jet printable DataLifePlus DVD+R DL discs, they are ONLY made in Singapore. They are at 2.4x speed.
    2) However, the lower rated non-printable silver discs tend to be made in India. This includes the 2.4x discs. They MAY be made in Singapore, but mostly they are made in India.
    3) I have not seen the 8x-10x discs made anywhere but Singapore. If India made those discs at one time, they may not do so now.
    4) Those 2x-6x discs usually are made in India.
    5) I don't personally put a lot of stock in it, but I did do a comparison of burning the same thing to India and Singapore made DVD+R DL discs by Verbatim on the same burner at the same speed and checked them with Nero's Disc Tool. The made in India discs did show as being somewhat more prone to errors.

The slower and cheaper the media, the more likely it is made in India. It seems to me that Verbatim thinks that Singapore makes better discs given that the faster and more expensive discs are made there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Singapore is just their own facility, there's nothing really special about it in terms of quality -- all MCC media is made to their specs and should therefore be considered good products.
    Quote Quote