VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the latest DVDFab and have encountered a few DVDs that processed all the way through perfectly - no problems noted from DVD Fab, or from DVD Shrink, or from DVD Decrypter for burning. Preview video looked OK in all stages. But the final disc is unusable - will not play in a player and a computer will not read it. I have encountered situations where DVDFab announced it cannot proceed without an update, or DVD Shrink announced an error with the ripped files requiring repair with ifoedit. But to have no indicated problem and an unusable result is new. Is something available that will verify the ripped VOBs so that this problem can be avoided?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDFabDecrypter is the ONLY one of that list that is still updated to counteract the newest copy protection methods.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It might be that the rip is OK and something else is going on. If the files are present on the harddrive, see if the player software can play them. Also, if before the burn, an ISO was made, see if the software player can play it. If all that produces a "Yes" then something is wrong with the media or the burner. If one of those steps produce a "No" with the software player, then you know where to start looking.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The player on the computer will not play them. DVDDecrypter reported a good burn with disc info read and presented afterward.
    Most discs are fine - but I am so dismayed that the few this happened with are small time documentary types. I can see them putting a fortune into cooking up a new copy scheme for Avatar - and DVDFab a counter to it - but this is surprising.
    It would seem a 'once and for all' system is needed - that will simply play and capture the dvd if required to circumvent these problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Perhaps I was not as clear as I wanted to be. What I meant to say " Play the files that are a result of the rip with the player software." If those play OK then good, if they do not play OK, run them thru FixVTS or use another to repair the fault. Then prepare the files for a burn and have DVD Decrypter make an ISO of the files that will be burnt but do not burn them, yet. Then see if the ISO plays OK in the software player. If all those result in the software player being able to play then it has to be a media fault.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Will Windows Explorer read the contents of the disc?

I've had similar problems to what you've encountered and it was almost always bad media, as OldMan64 suggests. Other times, slowing the burn speed to 4x or slower has worked.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can no longer try to play the ripped files as they were deleted. Everything seemed OK so this was done. I will have to try to play these files in the future. If DVDFab can't rip the disc - just say so and abort! DVDShrink is supposed to be a DVD video authoring and compression program. If there is a problem with the ripped files, it should report an error and abort.

Explorer will not give a directory for the burned discs. I am using name brand media which has not shown any problems with players or burners.

This problem is possibly connected with performing a 'full disc' vs. a 'main movie' rip. Perhaps the problem would not have occured had I done the main movie only option. I don't know, but it seems that menu structures can be corrupted in a copy protection scheme and end up causing these kinds of problems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dledm View Post
    I can no longer try to play the ripped files as they were deleted. Everything seemed OK so this was done. I will have to try to play these files in the future. If DVDFab can't rip the disc - just say so and abort! DVDShrink is supposed to be a DVD video authoring and compression program. If there is a problem with the ripped files, it should report an error and abort.
    My experience: When one of the ripper programs mentioned has a problem, it DOES report an error. Your problem seems to be pointing elsewhere rather than the ripper/compression software(s).

Explorer will not give a directory for the burned discs. I am using name brand media which has not shown any problems with players or burners.
    What brand? Unfortunately "brand name" doesn't count for much anymore; it's the manufacturer that counts. Most of us have seen situations of a few bad discs mixed in with good ones. In my experience, when Windows Explorer won't even read the disc, a quality scan of the disc has shown defective sectors at the first part of the burn; i.e., near the hub, suggesting a bad disc or perhaps a burner going bad. (On an embarrassing number of occasions, my bad burn was caused by my failing to note I'd gotten fingerprints on the disc. The burning software showed a good burn; Win Explorer and playback software disagreed!)

This problem is possibly connected with performing a 'full disc' vs. a 'main movie' rip. Perhaps the problem would not have occured had I done the main movie only option. I don't know, but it seems that menu structures can be corrupted in a copy protection scheme and end up causing these kinds of problems.
    I've backed up a lot of discs and can think of only one or two times when "movie only" was the only way to do a backup, and probably because I didn't wait for the latest ripping scheme.
    Last edited by CobraPilot; 1st Jun 2010 at 15:57. Reason: Typo
    Quote Quote