VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While I haven't tried them myself yet, since TY rebranded itself as JVC, they've had those gold-topped discs in what looks like retail packaging available at sites like Meritline and SMS. Has anyone actually seen them in a store or even on the website of an online store that didn't previously sell TY?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I haven't seen them in stores yet but they are available here in Europe online.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    been all i have been receiving for a couple months from meritline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jvc-ty_label001.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	2002
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hoo boy, I have been having issues with the new-branded JVC TY disks whose label is shown in the previous post.

A bit of background first -- I video my wife's group performances at the end of each quarter and provide the movies on DVDs to the participants. Most play them on set-top players, the rest on their computers. I had learned from painful experience that the Taiyo-Yuden 8x DVD-R "premium packs" from Supermediastore.com played on almost everything -- old set-tops, new set-tops, and any computer dating back to early Macintoshes (but not on HP, though). The 16x did NOT play well on set-top players, even though it did work on almost all computer DVD players and/or recorders.

About the time the label changed from Taiyo Yuden to "JVC for Professional" use (yeah, right) things went very awry. These disks will burn and verify perfectly on the computer, and in fact will verify perfectly on my Pioneer 111D ver 1.23, 116D ver 1.09, and a NEC ND-3550A -- burn on any and verify on any -- all perfect. HOWEVER, they play without error on VERY FEW set-top players. Not acceptable for my needs.

I can't say they're defective because they work fine on computer DVD drives. But I can't use them because they will not play on people's set-top players.

Anyone have an answer to my problem?

Thanks!
    Last edited by DanaT; 31st May 2010 at 14:32. Reason: add reference to previous post
    Quote Quote  
  5. I bought the value line 16x few weeks ago .I burnt more than 30 dvd's with no issues at all with any of my dvd players (2 philips 5990/5982)or my friends(cheapo magnavox from walmart)

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-media-value-line-100pk?max=10
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the few set-top players that have properly played these discs are either new or better-quality older ones. I have about a hundred people to make happy, which means about 60 set-tops of varying ages and quality. My clients expect that if other DVDs play properly on their equipment, the performance DVDs should play properly also, and I can't really fault them for that expectation. Especially in light of the multi-year history of that being the case -- until now.

I have tried a new pack of JVC-TY 16x, as well as Sony 16x purchased at Costco, and get the same results -- fine on computers, but play on only about a quarter of the set-top players. To really rub salt into the wound, all the disks play fine in a new Sylvania 32" TV that has a built-in slot-loading DVD player. Sylvania is not a name I normally hold in much esteem...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your problems are likely related to something else, if you're having that many problems. Don't just assume it's the disc. It's near the bottom of a list of "what's wrong" when trying to ascertain where the error is.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe the problem is the discs for the following reasons:

1. I still have a few old 8x TYs, and when I burn them they play on the set-top players fine.

2. I have 4 computers with the 3 different models of burners I mentioned before. I can burn on any computer and or drive, using any of several different burning applications, and verify the burned DVD on any computer without any error. The problem in that sense is not the burner, computer, software, or DVD. As I said before, the DVDs play fine on any computer I have tried them on.

3. I have so far tried the DVDs on seven set-top players. The older 8x TYs play fine on all 7, the new 8x JVC-TY ones, as well as the 16x TYs and the 16x Sonys fail to play cleanly on the same five of them.

4. I have a set-top DVD-recorder. The interesting thing is that it plays all the DVDs just fine.

There is something different between the old 8x TYs and the new JVC-branded 8x TYs. It only shows up in set-top players.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The JVC/Tys have been onsale in retail outlets for a while up here:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=42_551&item_id=028078

I haven't tried them yet.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
    using any of several different burning applications
    Which ones and why so many? Generally, on a PC, you should use ImgBurn or maybe CDBurnerXP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ImgBurn
    ....'nuff said.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would try burning the JVC discs at 2x speed and see then what the reliability is.
    Usually underburning a disc ( burning it lower than its rated speed) will
    enable the discs to perform better in older players.
    Also, check your firmware on your DVD burners in your PCs..they might be
    fine firmware wise for the 8x TYs, but they may not be for the JVC discs....

I believe this is what Smurfy was cryptically trying to point you towards...
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i've seen no difference in quality from the new package compared to the old. i use them in a 7 disc duplicator that is so finicky it only burns t.y. 8s discs. from couple hundred sent out i haven't had a complaint yet. the only other disc i would recommend at all is the verbatim hub printable datatlifeplus 8x dvd-r.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When somebody says they've tried "6-7 DVD players", I have to wonder if it's just the same 2-3 players under different brands. That's common. Next is the possibility that all are aged players, or cheap Chinese junk. Next comes the topic of smoking around optics, smokers kill their gear quickly.

Burn speed, burners in use, software and authored content are all important, too.

There's so many things to screw up before the video even gets to a disc. And then other devices can be the source of problems, too.

Blaming the disc is the easy way out.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by terryj View Post
    I would try burning the JVC discs at 2x speed and see then what the reliability is.
    Usually underburning a disc ( burning it lower than its rated speed) will
    enable the discs to perform better in older players.
    Also, check your firmware on your DVD burners in your PCs..they might be
    fine firmware wise for the 8x TYs, but they may not be for the JVC discs....

I believe this is what Smurfy was cryptically trying to point you towards...
    Thank you for the suggestions, although I had already tried everything you said.

I checked the firmware revisions available and I was/am running the most current versions.

I had purposely listed the burner models and firmware versions so if someone knew there was a problem with any one of them they could point it out.

I tried burning at 2x, 4x, 8x, and "max" which tops out at 12x. In the past I had always used "max" -- now all speeds on all burners give the same result: the new JVC-TY disks fail on 5 of the 7 settop players, but new burns at "max" of the old TY disks play fine on all 7 settop players.

I had tried different burners, as well as software and computers, because in the past I have encountered problems due to
    1. Burner getting weak or otherwise failing "softly"
    2. The Pioneer 111D uses a different chipset than the 116D, and the NEC is different from either of the Pioneers, so if the problem is due to chiipset issues, or Pioneer's writing strategy for the TYs being inappropriate, maybe NEC did better,
    3. Sometimes installing a program that has nothing to do with the DVD burner causes other issues in the computer and results in improper burns.

I would like to reiterate that I have burned the old-style TYs intermingled with the JVC-TYs, 16x TYs, and 16x Sonys. the result being the old-style TYs play fine on all 7 set-top players, while the JVC-TYs, the 16x TYs, and Sonys all fail on the same 5 of the 7 set-top players. It's not like I am comparing disks I burned months ago with ones I burned today -- they were all burned in the last few days. Also, I am not talking about a single disk in each case, but over a dozen of each kind.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony from Taiwan or Malaysia? SONYD12 media IDs? Not all "Sony" are the same.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I'm glad I saved a few of the MIJ Sony media ID discs...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't remember any MIJ Sony ID discs. IIRC, the MIJ Sonys were all made by TY with TY IDs.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    An astute question!

Sony from Malaysia -- it was the only thing I could find that looked remotely possible at our local Best Buy, Staples, and Costco.

I didn't learn about the distinction of the multiple Sonys until later.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A report from the field:

I did find a combination that works well on most of the set-top players, but nothing as good as the old 8x TYs. What worked the best for me is the Pioneer 111D v1.23 and either the JVC-TY8x DVD-R, part number J-DMR-WPP-SK8, or the Verbatim 8x DVD-R, part number 94854 (thank you for the tip, aedipuss!). But this same Pioneer drive cannot burn the Sonys at all -- it gets a "power calibration error" about 3/4 of the way through.

The Pioneer 116Ds write to all three disks equally well -- they verify perfectly on any computer drive, but fail to play smoothly on many set-top players.

Now I am in the market for some new DVD burners, because that poor lonesome 111D has already burned hundreds of DVDs and will fail someday. What's a really solid PATA DVD burner for the JVC-TYs and Verbatims mentioned above?
    Last edited by DanaT; 6th Jun 2010 at 23:16. Reason: I forgot to specify PATA interface
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you most likely are going to need to move on to sata burners to get the best out there. i'd recommend the sony AD-7240 series.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO Sony dvd media can be hit or miss with any dvd burner.
    I've had in the past several discs from different 100 pack spindles of Sony dvd media burn only at 4x speed.
    This occurred in any one of my whore collection of dvd burners!
    I bought 2 Sony Optiarc 7240S sata dvd drives and they each had to be returned because it was defective. Power calibration errors on Verbatim DL discs as well as single layer discs. I returned one back to newegg and another to a local pc shop in California. I got a brand new replacement from newegg and got my cash back for the other one. Only con I have for the 7240S drive is that it's a PITA to flash the drive w/hacked firmware for bitsetting to dvdrom.

When you begin to get power calibration errors that's a key factor that the dvd burner is failing. Dvd burning is best used with IMGBURN.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you can't get a sata pci card and have to go with ide about the only decent drive would be a lg GH22LP20. a bit more expensive than most at around $50.

pioneers after the 116 model suck
    lite-ons are ok for burning cds or making pretty disc scans
    plextors are lite-ons
    avoid most other brands with mediatek chipsets, look for nec chipset drives they are much better.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    if you can't get a sata pci card and have to go with ide about the only decent drive would be a lg GH22LP20. a bit more expensive than most at around $50.

pioneers after the 116 model suck
    lite-ons are ok for burning cds or making pretty disc scans
    plextors are lite-ons
    avoid most other brands with mediatek chipsets, look for nec chipset drives they are much better.
    Yup Pioneer now uses mediatek chipsets now...dunno why the hell they changed.
    The OEM LG IDE GH22NP20 is good as I've used it for replacement drives for friends/relatives.
    FREE SHIPPING!!!!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys -- I'm off to NewEgg to place an order.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    I don't remember any MIJ Sony ID discs. IIRC, the MIJ Sonys were all made by TY with TY IDs.
    They were there, mostly in the 10 packs with jewel cases for the 16x stuff. You could find spindles of MIJ SONY08D1 (8x DVD-R) for a hot minute too as I have one of those as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought the MIJ Sony discs in 25-pack spindles from Sears.
    Sears stopped selling discs not long after those disappeared. (Now Sears itself closed down in many areas!)
    Quote Quote  
  28. ANd you can always use a USb onnected Burner if you cant find a PATA one.
    I have to admit I havent Burned a DVD in ages (well, 3 months or more)
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where Is the Best Internet place to bu Authenic TY 8x DVD???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rrtbusa View Post
    Where Is the Best Internet place to bu Authenic TY 8x DVD???
    • Supermediastore
    • Meritline
    • Amazon
    • shop4tech
    • Rima
    See http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
    Quote Quote