VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have my VHS VCR hooked up to my MiniDV camera and doing passthrough via the firewire.

This works on most of my tapes. Some tapes you can see video in the preview while you are fast forwarding the tape, but if it is playing the preview is blank. Is this some sort of copy protection?

If I hit pause, I get video, if I rewind with playback I get video but normal play results in a blank preview screen with audio.

Lannie

PS Using windows movie maker in Windows 7 to capture. Virtualdub/procoder to edit and convert.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I never saw that happen. Are these commercial VHS tapes? If so it may be a Macrovision block.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Could be Macrovision. But I've seen it happen on other tapes when you start getting head clog. Clean your heads (and guides/rollers) real good. May even need to wipe clean the tape (careful!!). Sometimes even have to resort to using a different deck (gap size/azimuth incompatibility).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They are commercial tapes. I'm converting them for my wife's grandma. She has a huge collection and she wants them on dvd now. She's getting all techy on me.

I thought maybe using an old deck from the 80's would be old enough to not be affected by any macrovision. This is a high end vhs deck back then. I'll have to get the model number from it. I might be out of luck with these tapes then.

Lannie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think it is a Panasonic AG-1950. I also got a little box that allows me to adjust the video chroma noise, hue and etc. Would that eliminate the macrovision if I put that inline?

Lannie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All my Sony D8 and MiniDV camcorders block Macrovision analog source. My early model Canopus ADVC-100 model ignors Macrovision but later models block it similar to the camcorder. I haven't tested my Canon camcorders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If they are commercial tapes, then they most likely have Macrovision. You have to get a device that sits between the VCR video output and the DV camcorder input that will neutralize these pulses. A search on the net will show some with different capabilities and the corresponding prices.
    If they are old tapes (>5 years old), and they were stored in less than ideal conditions (too hot or too cold, too dry or too humid, stacked flat one on top of the other as opposed to standing on edge, too dusty, etc.), then the magnetic material maybe shedding as you play such that either one or both of the video heads get clogged. This is what I do: I get a reliable rewinder (or the VCR itself in rewind mode) and rewind the tapes back and forth at least 5 times prior. I like to think that in this way, what can be shed has fallen off and will not clog the heads later. Then I clean the VCR heads with a dry head cleaner cassette; if it's truly clogged (the grime is visible, and a few runs of the cleaning cassette scarcely helps) then manually cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol-dipped cotton buds on a toothpick end is required. Of course you have to open the VCR up and admire the beauty of the innards while at it. Manual VCR head-cleaning is a delicate operation and requires good lighting and dexterity; it's easy to break the brittle precious video/audio heads when done with a sledgehammer attitude.
    Cleaning up the video heads will not guarantee a dirty tape is not going to gunk it up again, and you may have to do it more than once just to capture that whole tape. Tough.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've already cleaned the vcr heads manually and all the tracks. The tapes play perfectly. They only stop when trying to do the passthrough.

Lannie
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If by "stop" you mean stop showing, that even more confirms to likelyhood of Macrovision. Get a good TBC, not the ProcAmp that you currently seem to have.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what tbc would you recommend. I cannot seem to find any advc-100's anymore.

Lannie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a advc-100 and hope that will do it for me.

Lannie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LSchafroth View Post
    I just bought a advc-100 and hope that will do it for me.

Lannie
    Not all ADVC-100 models ignore Macrovision. Google the web for serial numbers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a BetaMax SL-2400 which has been completely refurbished. I have that hooked into a Panasonic GX4-AG-1950 which has been serviced.

These go into the ADVC-100 and the macrovision is disabled and recording! yes!

Lannie
    Quote Quote