VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I'm starting again my struggle to restore my JVC-DVM70.
    I'm trying to generate the jvc DVM-70 file system, after reloading the initial hdd image on another HDD!

Seems I was on a wrong track, that part of HDD image is not really needed.
    There is a software able to rebuild that, is called jvc adviser pro cd.

Well, I'm looking for that piece of software, the jvc adviser pro cd
    or the BOOTUP1.BLX file to burn-it on cd. Anybody can help?

Thanks!

This is the old stuff

This is the last news on the lengthy trial of restoring back to live the JVC SR-DVM70 machine fail caused by the
    “Loading” problem.
    I will keep most of the updates here so people do not have to read all the non relevant information.
    The issue is the HDD data is getting corrupted and there is not so easy way to restore the info.
    I found some HDD image on a Russian forum, said to be placed to the root of the HDD. I wrote that image with Winhex, to the root and for my surprise the machine came back to life.
    (The sequence was like some seconds was loading something on the hdd, then reset(some lights turned on briefly on the front panel), then the bouncing JVC animation came on the screen, continuing with some disk checking noise and after that it booted to the main menu)
    It was recording fine and also operating as usual. That was the beauty part.
    After unplugging from wall the Loading.. thing came back. Wrote again the hdd root image and the machine was again working fine. Weird!
    I started to ask questions on some forums, and to some suggestion I started to compare the data on the disk, I used winhex to do that.
    To make things clear I erased some data that was on the end of the disk, up to the high sectors numbers.
    The bad part was that I did not make any backup of that stuff, now I regret badly.
    After looking on the net for some days, there seems to be a TFS2 file system, based on the string contained in the HDD root “CLsiPMABS Copyright LSI Logic, Inc. 2004”.
    The thing is it seems to store the allocation table and the directory table on the END of the HDD, exactly the part I erased!
    Also on that section was stored the bouncing JVC animation logo.
    So now after restoring again the root image, the hdd goes up where it does some kind of reset and should have loaded the JVC bouncing animation, but now it just goes black screen and nothing more.
    The idea is that I found that the upper HDD surface, close to the end was full of bad sectors, I need that information, should not be very big (max to 20-100 Mb?) to try to restore my HDD.
    I do not know the offset to that info, should be at the top of the disk, can be easily read with winhex and saved as is.
    The hdd is easy to connect to pc thru an USB interface( and safe), then opened in winhex directly.( you cannot read files there with windows explorer).
    I someone has the time and will to read his hdd on that section, would be nice.

Thanks,

dvd4met
    Last edited by dvd4met; 20th Aug 2010 at 20:39. Reason: For faster read of this topic
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it will help you, but, FWIW, I found this JVC Service Bulletin:

SUBJECT: DVD DRIVE UNIT CHANGEOVER:
    http://monitor.net.ru/forum/files/yb-sb-00023-3_459.pdf

The bulletin addresses a "loading" issue as a consequence of replacing the DVD unit. I could be completely wrong, but it seems to me that the Application Software on the Digital board interrogates the DVD unit and determines its model number. If the model number doesn't match, or cannot be detected, then initialisation fails.

The bulletin states that ... "after this update, the unit can be installed the old type of DVD UNIT (QAL0551-001, QAL0551-002 and QAL0651-001) and the new type of DVD UNIT (QAL0704-001)."

QAL0551-001 and QAL0551-002 = MODEL: GDA-4040B
    QAL0651-001 = MODEL: GDA-4120B
    QAL0704-001 = MODEL: GDA-4163B

All the above models appear to be LG OEM units. (LG uses a GSA prefix for their retail drives)

If the DVD unit has a 40-pin ribbon style IDE interface, then test it in a PC.

Here is an owner's manual for anyone who needs it:

SR-DVM70AG DVD / HDD & Mini DV Video Recorder Instruction Manual:
    http://www.brugermanualer.dk/jvc/sr-dvm70/LPT1021-001B.pdf
    Last edited by fzabkar; 24th May 2010 at 16:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply fzabkar,

Yes, the Russian forum was having that bulletin, I have read-it. Nothing is changed in the unit.

The problem is that the SR-DVM70 digital board update FW I cannot find-it anywhere on the net.

And I am not sure if the HDD needs some extra prep after restoring the image. Some talks about an Adviser disk?

As I said, It works fine until I unplug the cord, then I have to restore the HDD image again to make-it work.

Beats me why.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You said you checked the HDD. Do you have a SMART report? Have you rechecked the HDD after the reappearance of the "loading" failure? Can you read the firmware from the drive and compare it with the image in the ZIP? Did you make a backup of the original data?

BTW, I use the FC (File Compare) command in a Windows DOS box:

fc /b before.bin after.bin

Here are two SMART diagnostic tools. Look for reallocated, pending, or uncorrectable sectors.

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
    http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
    http://hddscan.com/

Just out of curiosity, what is the model number of your drive?

Do you have a link to the service manual?

Any photos of the internals?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by fzabkar View Post
    You said you checked the HDD. Do you have a SMART report? Have you rechecked the HDD after the reappearance of the "loading" failure? Can you read the firmware from the drive and compare it with the image in the ZIP? Did you make a backup of the original data?

The HDD is ok,checked with HDSentinel already, always shows 2 bad sect after the extended self test.
    Never did a backup, not care about old info. Also I did not compare the info, Don't know if it really helps to find the difference, as it looks like at the first initialisation(power plug in) it spends more time to write or check something on HDD and not so much after the second replug to the power.
    The fact that is working every time I rewrite the FW on the HDD is bizarre.
    I do not have another 160 GB to try, and a smaller one I do not think is recommended.

http://elektrotanya.com/jvc_sr-dvm70.rar/download.html

photos of the internals?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.jpg
Views:	1731
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	1975Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	1974

Thanks for the reply,
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still think it may be an idea to find out what changes, if any, are written to the firmware after the first reboot. That may at least give you a clue as to what is happening during bootup.

BTW, do you have a URL for disk0001.zip?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I still think it may be an idea to find out what changes, if any, are written to the firmware after the first reboot. That may at least give you a clue as to what is happening during bootup.

BTW, do you have a URL for disk0001.zip?
    http://ru.jvc-service.net/user/download.cfm/document/disk0001.zip

They all host the same file, cannot list the directory.
    I only knew the first one and I only changed the country root, and guess what - the image was also there!
    Maybe other country JVC sites have them too, try-it!

Ok, I think I figured out, after I ruined mine even more.
    I did the file compare after I booted the machine, with Winhex, very good tool, and are 2000 or more changes.
    The thing is that for my drive, the disk0001 is written at the root of the Hdisk, but there is some other data used at the end of the disk, do not know the exact location because I ERASED, ( to clean the disk so I can see the differences better) thinking is some old recorded files. But not, that is the place where is also stored the JVC bouncing animation, because after I erased all that bytes, no more animation, and actually not booting anymore like before use to do after rewriting the Hdd image.

But I found the reason why my HDD was not working, is because on that end of drive location the drive was having some more bad sectors and really big problems reading that section, and there seems like it was stored some really important stuff, because now, instead of loading the bouncing animation, screen just goes black!

So I also changed the HDD with another 160 Gb( perfect condition, no bad sectors) and of course exact the same symptom, blank screen instead of bouncing animation.

So if any good soul out there could fill in this blank, extract the raw image of that end of Hard disk section, with winhex for example, to give the offset value, is a small volume, the rest of the disk is empty anyway( if there is no movies), except for the root part restored with the disk0001 image.

My info was bad anyway because I had lots of bad sectors there, so only a good hdd extraction will be useful.

Like this, if it works I can make a guide of HOW TO REPLACE THE HDD in three simple steps.
    I'm just missing that piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for the reply
    Last edited by dvd4met; 26th Aug 2010 at 16:46. Reason: Some lame stuff contained
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Here are two SMART diagnostic tools. Look for reallocated, pending, or uncorrectable sectors.

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
    http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
    http://hddscan.com/

Any photos of the internals?
    I'm starting again my struggle to restore my JVC-DVM70.
    I'm trying to rebuild the JVC DVM-70 file system,
    after reloading the initial firmware image on another new HDD! (same model)

Seems I was on a wrong track until now, that part of file system HDD image is not really needed( is located at the end of HDD).
    There is a software able to rebuild the file system, is called Jvc Adviser Pro cd.

Well, I'm looking for that piece of software, the jvc adviser pro cd
    or the BOOTUP1.BLX file to burn-it on cd. Anybody can help?

Thanks!
    Last edited by dvd4met; 21st Aug 2010 at 17:30.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I have the loading problem, what can I do? Inside brings a Maxtor QuickView hdd 160gh
    I am sorry for the Italian translation made by Google Translator

Franco
    Last edited by videodue; 11th Dec 2010 at 13:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videodue View Post
    Hi, I have the loading problem, what can I do?
    I am sorry for the Italian translation made by Google Translator.
    Franco
    Read this: Fixing JVC DVD recorder "LOADING"
    It's a pretty broad overview I've put together over time.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I read the post and link translated by Google.
    Maybe I expressed myself badly, I tend to turn on when I get the message Loaging flashing and does not go forward.
    Thanks if someone can search help.
    Franco
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    dvd4me Mp
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    hi, i tryed to fix my "loading problem" using the following:
    downloaded disk0001.bin and using winhex i've copied all offset and after opened 160gb disk i paste on offset 00000000 and rewrote it and following.
    saved changes and tried to boot on machine... still loading and no animation.

2nd try
    rewrote with 00 all offsett till Offset: 245BDC8000
    saved and try to boot... same as before.

3th try
    try1+try2
    same result

what other try can i do?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Help me
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Ancora niente si sa.
    Last edited by videodue; 21st May 2013 at 12:57.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Ho risolto con un tecnico, cambiato hd e scheda assy posizionata sotto dvd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by videodue View Post
    Ho risolto con un tecnico, cambiato hd e scheda assy posizionata sotto dvd.
    Sono felice che tu fix-it. Io ho risolto il problema gettando via la macchina, vorrei che avrei potuto foud l'immagine NTSC in precedenza, il problema con il PAL e NTSC immagini HDD non sono compatibili.

I'm happy you fix-it. Me I fixed the problem by throwing away the machine, I wish I could have foud the NTSC image earlier, the problem with the PAL and NTSC HDD images are not compatible.

Tibi
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hello everyone..

I read on the forum that someone looks for an image file for hdd jvc sr dvm-70.

If anyone interested can contact me.

I apologize for my bad english.

I'm translating with google....
    Quote Quote