VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been looking on all posts to find blu-ray players that read USB flash drives and understand .srt subtitles along with its .avi video file.
    Does anyone knows witch players support that?
    I have a PS3 at home and looks like Sony microcode doesn't support that feature. If you want to see downloaded movies with portuguese subtitles on PS3 you need to "reencode" the movie using "Submerge" on MAC OS.
    I also have a Dlink wireless media player that support .srt subtitles. But it's old and you need to remove all portuguese characters from the .srt file. (you can do that using "Subcleaner" app on MAC OS).
    Any tips?
    Thanks
    Eduardo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Curtis DVD 1102 (similar to Momitsu 799) will read an avi and srt subs. For MKV, the subs must be outside the container, much like the subtitle file for an avi must also be outside the avi container. I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) but the more expensive players like the LG and Oppo lines also will work to do what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My JVC XV-BP1 will read .srt subtitles along with its .avi video file via USB.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tested .avi files with .srt subtitles on a Samsung BD-P1600 and worked well. I assume that this will work on Samsung BD-P3600. I haven't tested on Samsung BD-C6500, DB-C6900 and BD-C7500.
    I have also tested Panasonic DMP - BD60LB-K and DIDN'T work.
    Anyone tested any SONY player?
    I'm very interested on buying SONY BDP-S570 but I want to be sure that it will read downloaded movies (.avi and .mkv) WITH .srt subtitles (in Portuguese).
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I just bought a Sony BDP-Sx37 (equivalent to of S-370) player and I do not see a subtitle option nor the subtitle button works even when a .srt file of the media file is available.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    thiagrr - You may not care about this, but please be aware that Sony DVD and BluRay players are extremely difficult to make region free. The model you want to buy probably cannot be made region free. You may not care about this, but I wanted to tell you before you buy anything in case it is important to you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman, Thank you. I learnt it the hard way unfortunately. I would have loved to be able to watch an .mp4 movie or two with subtitle!!
    Quote Quote