VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Been a long, long time since I've posted here....1st before I even ask my question, I want to say thanks to all the dedicated, selfless folks who run this site, and offer invaluable advice, tips and help for those of us who are "seeking the way(s)"...

I have about 500 - 600 DVD's I've collected in my library over the years...I just recently bought a new house and bought all new Hi-def TV's for the living and bedrooms and a PS3... The only reason I got the PS3 was to upscale my DVD's to a higher Def and be able to watch them that way, instead of going out and buying all new Hi-def copies of what I already own...

What I've discovered and like to do now is find the best software program (Not the most costliest, though) that I can convert my DVD collection to a quality Hi-def format, then re-convert that to a H264/MKV and store them on an external hard drive from which I can use the PS3 to play movies on. Am I correct in my assumption of what I want to do? If not, what would be the best manner in what it is that I'm trying to describe? If I am correct, what would be the best (but not most Costliest, again) software to convert my collection to a Hi-def (or Blu-ray ???) format, then to an H264/MKV file?

Thanks again for everyone's advice and tips
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    THe ps3 doesn't support any mkvs so you don't want that. mp4 would be better but then it doesn't support ac3 audio....the ps3 isn't really so good for this....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't try to convert the DVDs to HD as there is really no advantage. Your player or display would do a better job of upscaling. You can convert to H.264/MKV with a program like XviD4PSP or Handbrake or maybe others. But with 500 - 600 DVDs, it will take a VERY long time, even with a fast CPU. But you might give it a try.

EDIT: After reading Baldrick's comment, looks like MKV won't work anyway. What I do is repackage my DVDs to .ISO format and play them back from my video servers. I usually run them through DVDShrink to just have the main movie and reduce the size a bit. But even with a 4.7GB file, you would need in excess of 2TB storage. With MP4 and maybe 1.5GB each, you might get that down to 1TB.
    Last edited by redwudz; 22nd May 2010 at 15:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    THe ps3 doesn't support any mkvs so you don't want that. mp4 would be better but then it doesn't support ac3 audio....the ps3 isn't really so good for this....
    Thanks Baldrick for your reply...Then what would be a good setup for something like this?
    I have 2 1TB external Hardrives with a couple of movies on it already and I hope there is another method or way to do this...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I wouldn't try to convert the DVDs to HD as there is really no advantage. Your player or display would do a better job of upscaling. You can convert to H.264/MKV with a program like XviD4PSP or Handbrake or maybe others. But with 500 - 600 DVDs, it will take a VERY long time, even with a fast CPU. But you might give it a try.

EDIT: After reading Baldrick's comment, looks like MKV won't work anyway. What I do is repackage my DVDs to .ISO format and play them back from my video servers. I usually run them through DVDShrink to just have the main movie and reduce the size a bit. But even with a 4.7GB file, you would need in excess of 2TB storage. With MP4 and maybe 1.5GB each, you might get that down to 1TB.
    Thanks for the reply Redwudz...

This sounds like an excellent idea...As I replied to Baldrick, I have 2 1TB external HDD's just waiting to be used for this...And If it takes me a couple of years, Thats OK...Better Than dishing out Big bucks for stuff I've got in my collection already...Besides, it gives me a back-up plan for the library...I think it would be cheaper to have the HDD repaired/recovered than replacing all my DVD's in the event of a Fire, or some type of catastrophe like that...Yeah Insurance would probably replace alot, but not all...I've got some old movies copied from Satellite TV years ago on my Panasonic DVD recorder that I still don't think have come out on DVD...
    Quote Quote