VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I am trying to encode a Xvid file to H264 so the picture is HD quality, or as close as I can get to HD. I have tried various programs like SUPER and MeGUI. I don't know much about MeGUI, so I can't seem to make the picture any better. It actually seems to get worst. I don't know much about the bitrate and stuff like that. I have some experience, but not much. I have read a lot of guides on how to do this, but most are for encoding DVD to H264/Blu-Ray. My file is an AVI file with Xvid codec. Any tips or help would be much appreciated.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can't take a lower quality XviD and make it high quality H264. You need the original DVD to start with but even then, you don't get high definition. You would need a Bluray disc to start with.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your response. Do you know of any way I can improve the quality of the picture for this file. It doesn't have to be HD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Basically the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics - everything decays.... you can't improve on what is there, you could explore virtualdub and some of the plugins to sharpen or even noise reduction but it's not going to be better than the original. You should always start off with the highest quality and then compress to the desired size/acceptance of loss of quality. Basically you can't have it all!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote