VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been working on and editing project and need sound effects from the DVD. Is there a way to Rip the sound only, and not the Music. If so, what software?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Short answer, no, there isn't. You can dick about with EQs and other tools, but if the music and sound effects are mixed together in the same channels then you aren't going to extricate them. I don't care what they show you on CSI/NCIS/Bones and similar fantasy shows, you can't just tweak a few settings and suddenly find the train whistle under the sounds of construction.

If you spend a lot of time carefully trimming in an audio editor you may be able to isolate some effects and hope that any music is minimal in the background, but that is the best you will get. Better to look for effects in proper effects libraries if you can.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Short answer, no, there isn't. You can dick about with EQs and other tools, but if the music and sound effects are mixed together in the same channels then you aren't going to extricate them. I don't care what they show you on CSI/NCIS/Bones and similar fantasy shows, you can't just tweak a few settings and suddenly find the train whistle under the sounds of construction.

If you spend a lot of time carefully trimming in an audio editor you may be able to isolate some effects and hope that any music is minimal in the background, but that is the best you will get. Better to look for effects in proper effects libraries if you can.
    Oh, how might I do this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do what ? Edit an audio file ? With an audio editor (he says, flippantly).

Audacity if free, and if you install the latest beta version with the appropriate FFMPEG libraries (all links on the site) then you can open and save AC3 audio. Use DGIndex to demux your VOBs to video and audio tracks, then open the AC3 audio tracks in audacity and edit away.

A more specific question might get you a more specific answer.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just shoot me now!!!!!!!!!
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Do what ? Edit an audio file ? With an audio editor (he says, flippantly).

Audacity if free, and if you install the latest beta version with the appropriate FFMPEG libraries (all links on the site) then you can open and save AC3 audio. Use DGIndex to demux your VOBs to video and audio tracks, then open the AC3 audio tracks in audacity and edit away.

A more specific question might get you a more specific answer.
    I'm really not sure how to use DGIndex because something keeps messing up!Click image for larger version

Name:	vccv.png
Views:	367
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1892Click image for larger version

Name:	lose.png
Views:	718
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1893Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd 2.png
Views:	663
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1894Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd.png
Views:	668
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1895
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to get around this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDFabDecrypter is the most "updated" ripper....and there is a FREE portion of the program.
    http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/225/59/
    Quote Quote