VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an MPEG-2 file which was generated by tivodecode (from a file downloaded from my TiVo). It's the kind of MPEG-2 that Quicktime's MPEG-2 support can't deal with. But it plays correctly in VLC -- both video and audio

I dragged it into ffmpegx 0.0.9y, and tried exporting to a number of different formats. I wanted to convert it to DV, but that format -- like the majority of them -- failed; as soon as I clicked "encode," the "done" bell rang, and I had an empty file.

So I tried both h.264 mencoder and h.264 x264. In both cases, the files did encode, but I ended up with two separate files: a video file and an audio file. Okay, I can deal with that. I'll be dragging them into Final Cut Express. But in both cases the separate audio file was empty. Zero K. Any idea how I can get the audio out of this MPEG-2 file?

Here's a screenshot.

Thanks,
    DM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please post the Process Information log for a failed conversion. You may access that log by clicking the blue "i" in the Progress window after a conversion attempt (e.g to DV).
    This log should hold information and error messages that should help diagnose and find a way to get a good conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've been having this same problem, but I'm bringing in an M2TS file. Video comes out fine, audio comes as a separate file (though I'd REALLY prefer to have them together in the same container), but the audio is always empty.

Here's one info log, this one I tried with "invert mapping" checked on.

Duration: 00:02:35.2, start: 0.437089, bitrate: 8121 kb/s
    Stream #1.0[0x1011], 59.94 fps(r): Video: h264, yuv420p, 1280x720
    Stream #1.1[0x1100]: Audio: ac3
    Codec type mismatch for mapping #1.0 -> #0.0
    After that I tried one without "invert mapping", and here was the log (note these are separate but similar m2ts streams, both recorded back to back):

Stream #0.0: Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, 128 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #1.1 -> #0.0 [sync #0.0]
    Press [q] to stop encoding
    video:0kB audio:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 7900.000000%

Several tracks in MP4 - please indicate track to import
    Error importing filename.audio.mp4: Bad Parameter
    I also want to note from that previous one that the audio file isn't 0KB, it's 4KB. When I set invert mapping on, it came out 0. In both cases, the video file works fine. I've tried selecting the track from zero to 3, but have had no success.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by teebonesy View Post
    I'm bringing in an M2TS file. Video comes out fine, audio comes as a separate file (though I'd REALLY prefer to have them together in the same container), but the audio is always empty.
    The audio would have been muxed with the video, if the audio conversion succeeded.
    Apparently, the AC3 in an M2TS file is too confusing for the ffmpeg version inside ffmpegX 0.0.9y. Notice how it detects ac3 audio, but can't give any parameters. I'm afraid you'll need something more recently updated to handle M2TS files.

Quote Quote