VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Has anyone every heard of MP4tool or AVI converter? Are they anygood?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No. Links?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    also what do you need to do with the mp4 file?

There are many alternatives available.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools

There is the list of all the tools available that is known to the videohelp community. You should be able to find something with user reviews for the project you want. Also many are available for free or on a trial basis.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. This was the conversion software given by the maker of the portable media device I brought so that my grandson could watch videos. He likes Alvin and the chipmunks. I just spoke to the tech support people and it turns out that the software doesn't convert vob files. I already had some video_ts files from movies I had reduced in Dvd shrink. So I tried to convert to AVI with Xvid4psp but that didn't turn out so well I think I'm doing something wrong. Supposedly the support specs for AVI are:640x480/30fps/16000kbps or less. The process was going great until towards the end it froze up. It appears that the file was bad. So I am now trying another movie with WinFF. So Far its going ok. Its been converting for at least 1/2 hr. now. I keep you posted on the final outcome. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Now it seems Winff stopped message says "error while decoding stream 01, frame sync error"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cdv View Post
    This was the conversion software given by the maker of the portable media device I brought so that my grandson could watch videos. He likes Alvin and the chipmunks. I just spoke to the tech support people and it turns out that the software doesn't convert vob files. I already had some video_ts files from movies I had reduced in Dvd shrink. So I tried to convert to AVI with Xvid4psp but that didn't turn out so well I think I'm doing something wrong. Supposedly the support specs for AVI are:640x480/30fps/16000kbps or less. The process was going great until towards the end it froze up. It appears that the file was bad. So I am now trying another movie with WinFF. So Far its going ok. Its been converting for at least 1/2 hr. now. I keep you posted on the final outcome. Thanks

The "support specs" you cite seem fairly challenging (for most "MP4" PMPs, anyway). Did those come from the manufacturer's documentation, or are they AVI parameters from something/somewhere else? If you are unsure of what the device accepts, try dropping a known, playable vid onto GSpot (free download). GSpot will analyze the vid and tell you all about the vid, giving you at least a known working baseline set of specs for future encodes.

I helped a neighbor of mine with almost exactly the same request as yours. After some investigation, we found that his player could only accept 352x240 vids at about 20-30fps, and south of 1.something megabits/s total bitrate. Beyond those, it would either halt and display an error message ("invalid file" or some such rudeness), or attempt to play it, but with dropouts, clicks, and general lameness.

I wish you good luck. Please post back (either with a success story, or with further questions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I was able to convert the vob file with winff on the second try I'm not sure how much or the continuity of the video but my grandson was able to see it on the media player. I will check out GSpot and let you know the outcome. It seem the conversion went to 720/480; does that sound about right? I know this isn't the parameter that the manufacturer gave but it played, for how long I'm not sure, but my daughter has called me about any problems. Initially I actually loaded the shrunk decoded vob file and it played but shut off, so I deleted it from the player and did the avi conversion. thanks for the reply, I'll let you know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cdv View Post
    I was able to convert the vob file with winff on the second try I'm not sure how much or the continuity of the video but my grandson was able to see it on the media player. I will check out GSpot and let you know the outcome. It seem the conversion went to 720/480; does that sound about right? I know this isn't the parameter that the manufacturer gave but it played, for how long I'm not sure, but my daughter has called me about any problems. Initially I actually loaded the shrunk decoded vob file and it played but shut off, so I deleted it from the player and did the avi conversion. thanks for the reply, I'll let you know.
    Well, the only test that really matters is whether it plays. Since it passed that test, be happy. 720x480 sounds high for a little player, which just means that the file size might be substantially larger than strictly necessary. But now that you have a working result, you have a known condition to optimize around, if you're so inclined. Congrats!
    Quote Quote