VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Just stocked up, however my stash won't last forever. So what is everyone else using? I'm looking for both -R and Double Layer+R DL.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Who what now?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I am concerned, Verbatim media is still fine, but those who have older DVD recorders and need lower-speed media, or have some other reason for not using Verbatim media, use Taiyo Yuden/JVC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think he's looking for DL discs. If Verbatim now sucks, there's not many other choices. Maxell, Ritek, Imation, Memorex? TY doesn't make DL, at least for the US market.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ProgrockTV, please elaborate on the assertion that Verbatim now sucks. That is news to me.

P.S. -- Love your Peter Gabriel/Genesis "Watcher of the Skies" avatar. Brings back memories...memories of when Genesis didn't suck.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Supreme2k'sis the only post here that makes sense!
    LOL!!

Not all Verbatim media sucks, you just need to make sure you buy the correct version now.

Just don't buy the Life Series in the white package.

Unless you don't mind using the CMC MAG M01

I just ordered 2 100pack spindles of the 95098 which are still the MCC 004 disc's.

They were 22.95 with free shipping from newegg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Verbatim.JPG
Views:	4455
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1871

Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I think he's looking for DL discs. If Verbatim now sucks, there's not many other choices. Maxell, Ritek, Imation, Memorex? TY doesn't make DL, at least for the US market.
    Oop's, my bad!! missed that part!!
    Actually now that i look again, he is asking about both SL & DL.

I have had no problem with Verbatim DL+R's.

I have went through several packs of these and never had a problem.
    I just ordered 2 more packs with the 100 pack spindles.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130008
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, the older packaging are the "AZO" discs which I've never had a problem with, however not knowing they were changing manufacturers last week I purchased some of the "Life" series which I've had problems with (CMC MAG.M01 are TERRIBLE discs from my experience, same makers of Memorex and other cheap brands)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    datalife plus +r dl is still available and all that i use for dl. it's 2.4x and white injet printable, but you can get it at meritline.com
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. OP quote

'Just stocked up, however my stash won't last forever. So what is everyone else using? I'm looking for both -R and Double Layer+R DL. "
    ------------------

I believe he/she said -R and +RW

Verbatim has always worked OK for m I do feel that the Quality Control, is at present [very good]
    I have some 5+year old 4X liteon burners with the oiginal firmware that work fine with Verbatim 16x disks
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    supermediastore has the good verbatims also. i normally get the 2.4x dl at newegg. i knew early on that the "value series" was cmc. Best Buy sold them crappers this past weekend for $13 for a 50 pack, thats normally the price of the good ones.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VERBATIM DL discs from Sams Club $60.00 a pop for a 50 pack spindle!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by budz View Post
    VERBATIM DL discs from Sams Club $60.00 a pop for a 50 pack spindle!
    Not printable, right?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, not printable. Not sure about your Sam's but mine has stopped carrying Verbatim's. They are closing out the DL's at $39.00 for 50. (Yeah, I bought 2 spindles.) They are restocking with Memorex.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PhoneMatt View Post
    Nope, not printable. Not sure about your Sam's but mine has stopped carrying Verbatim's. They are closing out the DL's at $39.00 for 50. (Yeah, I bought 2 spindles.) They are restocking with Memorex.
    I went to three different Sam's Clubs in my area and bought all the MIS Verbatim DL's they had left in stock. Those transactions more than paid for my membership fee for this year and many more years to come!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have any Life Series (or non-Azo/DataLifePlus by any other name) +R DL discs showed up yet?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Okay, just to update the thread. Sam's now no longer carries Verbatim and are now sold out. I've been looking on line for any of the Verbatim "AZO" discs with white printable surface and it seems EVERYONE is sold out! I also tried the new Verbatim "Datalife" series and out of a 100 pack over 50 are burning as coasters. I'm ONLY looking for -R and just can't seem to find ANYTHING!

So the million dollar question is, what is the suitable replacement?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Office Max has the 100 pk Verbatim for $16.99 with online coupon. Just bought some yesterday. Need to stock up.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by V Bot View Post
    Office Max has the 100 pk Verbatim for $16.99 with online coupon. Just bought some yesterday. Need to stock up.
    Yes, but which ones...
    The good ones? (AZO, DataLife)
    Or the crap ones? (Value Series, Life Series)
    I bet it's the latter.
    Be sure to read up at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

You can get the authentic high quality Verbatim AZO/DataLife discs at
    DVD-R - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YJXMI?ie=UTF8&tag=thdifa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=17...SIN=B0009YJXMI
    DVD+R - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YJXMS?ie=UTF8&tag=thdifa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=17...SIN=B0009YJXMS
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 22nd Jul 2010 at 18:48.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  20. Stopped by our local store over lunch, sold out and only Valuelife left
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Yes, but which ones...

I bet it's the latter.

They are the 95098/AZO made in Taiwan. You can pick either (AZo or Life), but like I mentioned in another post, I went with the gut feeling of what i bought in the past.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  22. Verbatim +R DL is the only DL thats worth a damn, so far they don't appear to have changed it but it may just be a matter of time. If/when Verbatim switches their +DL to full-on CMC then DL burning will become completely pointless.

For single layer -R options, some media vendors still have stock on the slower 8x DataLife Plus -R AZO Verbs, although it tends to be pricey. That and TY 8x Premium is all I've used for the last couple years. If Verbatim kills their 8x AZO and the TY/JVC rebranding mess results in them dropping 8x as well, we can say Bye-Bye to our beloved but finicky DVD/HDD recorders...

Those using PC burners can substitute 16x premium TY/JVC for the now-crummy 16x Verbatim, its about the same quality as the "good" Verbs. That is, until TY decides to throw in the towel and subcontract with CMC just like 9 out of 10 other brands have done. Archiving to anything but backup HDDs is becoming increasingly difficult: physical media is dying more rapidly than anyone expected.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by V Bot View Post
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Yes, but which ones...

I bet it's the latter.

They are the 95098/AZO made in Taiwan. You can pick either (AZo or Life), but like I mentioned in another post, I went with the gut feeling of what i bought in the past.

Checkd at 3 bestbuy Stores in 2 Cities All say they never had a 100 spindle of any Verbatim disks for $16.99
    AND do NOT know of any Coupon

Can you d point to the Bestbuy online site for thes --Thanks
    Last edited by LCSHG; 21st Jul 2010 at 23:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Office Max -- not Best Buy.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    You guys don't seem to know about the Falcon DL and single layer dvds. They have been getting reasonably good user reviews over at MyCE for over a year now, and are really the only alternative to Verbatim DL that I know of. http://club.myce.com/f33/how-good-fti-falcon-271517/

Available from several different online sites, supermediastore.com included.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HI,

I stocked-up on some Verbatim MCC 004 made in UAE. When i run out of AZO Verbatim blank DVDs, i will use exclusively Taiyo Yuden [JVC] DVDs.

If Verbatim messes with their LightScribe DVD+Rs, i will be in 'a world of hurt'.

NBK
    Last edited by NBK2; 22nd Jul 2010 at 10:15.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NBK2 View Post
    HI,

I stocked-up on some Verbatim MCC 004 made in UAE. When i run out of AZO Verbatim blank DVDs, i will use exclusively Taiyo Yuden [JVC] DVDs.

If Verbatim messes with their LightScribe DVD+Rs, i will be in 'a world of hurt'.

NBK

Well, I just bought some Verbatim DataLifePlus recently and they are STILL made in Taiwan, just like always. You have to buy them online, but they aren't that expensive.

I was an early adopter of LightScribe, but really it's time to move past it now. Printing to discs is so much better and the printers and discs are fairly cheap now. Honestly, it's not really worth dealing with LightScribe any more. All of my LightScribe burns were to Verbatim discs, 100% of them, and my discs are protected from direct sunlight, but some of them have already started to fade and probably won't be readable in another year or so. Printing to discs is also a lot quicker (seconds as opposed to 20+ minutes). I use TY's Watershield discs when I need to print labels and they look terrific.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by NBK2 View Post
    HI,

NBK

Well, I just bought some Verbatim DataLifePlus recently and they are STILL made in Taiwan, just like always. You have to buy them online, but they aren't that expensive.

I was an early adopter of LightScribe, but really it's time to move past it now. Printing to discs is so much better and the printers and discs are fairly cheap now. Honestly, it's not really worth dealing with LightScribe any more. All of my LightScribe burns were to Verbatim discs, 100% of them, and my discs are protected from direct sunlight, but some of them have already started to fade and probably won't be readable in another year or so. Printing to discs is also a lot quicker (seconds as opposed to 20+ minutes). I use TY's Watershield discs when I need to print labels and they look terrific.
    Hi,

I do not trust inkjets at all. I am waiting for a cheap silkscreen-like machine before i give-up on LightScribe...

NBK
    Quote Quote  
  29. I posted this on another forum but, I Just had an interesting conversation with an employee at Best Buy (I was on my way to lunch and decided to drop in just in case they had any Verbatims, which of course they didn't) We talked about the latest fiasco but wasn't aware, at least technically, about the switch. He told me "that would explain things" because he usually suggests Verbatim as the brand to go with. I asked if he gets any feedback from customers about the other brands and said the number of people coming in because discs no longer play have been "astronomical" lately. Most of the discs of course are Memorex but even already he's been getting a ton of Verbatim Valuelife series back from SEVERAL different customers because they just won't burn right. He thinks it's at the point right now where failure rates are REALLY starting to show on the cheaper media brands. He told me he even had a guy break down in tears because the DVD of his son (who died a month ago) would no longer play (he taped over the mini DV tape). He tells most people to try a data recovery place but "9 times out of 10" the customer is back because the disc is just unreadable, and all he can do at that point all he can do is shrug his shoulders and say "sorry". Well it sounds like the "It'll do" mentality is coming back to bite them. I just hope TY will hang in there!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Office Max -- not Best Buy.

THANKS, My Errror

You have to join ther bclub for any on line goodies I don't buyrDisks from Office Max Or BestBuy
    I did id check with 2 OfficeMax Stores . They salso aid they didnt have any Verbatim For $16.99 and I would have to join there club for any possible sales or coupons.
    I don't want to join there club. So I just wount get t The Verbatims for $16.99 and -- pay $21.99

But Thans To V Bot

PS The reason I called them, I don't have either store in my area but can have a friend pick an item up in a city 100 miles away
    Quote Quote