VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    i thought i'd ask a stupid linux newbie question here before i got laughed at on a linux board.

i installed a software package using applications/ubuntu software center. it downloaded and installed. green check mark. the program is in /usr/games but it's not listed in applications/games on the desktop? all the rest of the installed programs are. it runs fine if i open a terminal and type it's name.

so i guess the question is how do i make a shortcut in applications/games for it?

i've been using linux for almost 24 hours now
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 but the process will be similar.
    Look in
    System > Preferences > Main Menu > Games
    Then look to see if your game is there but not yet 'ticked'.
    If it isn't then you have to follow a '+ New Item' procedure to create your own shortcut.

None of this might be necessary though, sometimes the shortcut will magically appear next time you boot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks. it was there and checked but still no shortcut. ended up having to re-install linux o.s. after clicking cancel in a popup question about a "keyring". lost wifi connectivity permanently. not a forgiving of mistakes o.s. is what i'm finding, and everything is just different enough to make it easy for a newb to screw things up.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  4. That is pretty strange. I didn't encounter that many problems with Ubuntu 10.04, not anything that required a reinstall at least. After some initial wrangling it's working well for me.

Agreeing that creating shortcuts is a bit of a pain, if you aren't sure what the exact command or target file is.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just upgraded last night. No lost shortcut links but my video drivers are giving me hell. Even though I was using the open source drivers I ended up with the proprietary drivers after upgrade and no matter what I do I can't get rid of them. I stuck with low res basic graphics mode for now. Ubuntu has come a long way but it still tends to be a pain compared to Windows in some of the most basic ways sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. On a side note, I'd like to add that I finally gave up trying to get Ubuntu working with my video card after a full reinstalled made things even worse. I decided to try Linux Mint instead, which is based off of Ubuntu. I have to say that it's a much nicer experience. Things seem to be better laid out and just plain out work better than Ubuntu. It might be worth a try if you keep having Ubuntu issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the x drivers for the nvidia card in this linux box seem to work ok. i choose the ubuntu approved one, not the latest or previous ones offered.

i re-installed ubuntu 8 times, only twice would it boot after installing. pia. it is only going to be a wireless internet/email box in an unwired part of the house. so far it's pointing me back towards re-installing xp.....

i'll give mint a look at.
    --
    Quote Quote