VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    I have a couple clips from a couple films, both under 5 minutes. I'd like to receive constructive criticism, advice, etc. on my sound work, but I'm afraid to provide links, seeing as how these clips do consist of commercial material. On the other hand, this is sincerely for educational purposes only.
    How can I "show off" my work, for the sake of improvement, without it being considered warez?
    Sorry for sounding idiotic, but I think this is rather important.
    - Justin
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    re: breaking the rules.
    not possible unfortunately when you're dealing with intellectual property no matter the purpose & without Hollywood consent.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @ Virtualdoobmon
    Yeah, just look at the thousands if not millions of videos on Youtube, not to mention all the audio that is used on the videos!!
    LOL!!

So ya better watch out!!! The tv police might show up at your house for all those hours and hours of TV you recorded 20 years ago on your VHS recorder!!
    LOL!!

If you are just using it to demonstrate something, like some audio remixing or something, as it's not real clear what you are trying to demonstrate, and not using it to make profit or to distribute or it is an entire movie you are ripping and trying to upload in a torrent to share, i doubt it will be of any concern.

Heck, i have given more than 1 mod & member here a good ribbing for posting something like a short clip that you could consider being used without permission a no no!!

I would have just posted them and if the mods had a real problem with them they would have just said so at most, removed the links, instead of being overly paranoid and bringing out the over zealous don't you dare break the law by giving a link to 5 minutes of video that is someone else's!!

Do you watch Family Guy or ever see the episode where Peter is starting to record a football game and the FBI breaks into his house and ask's if he has the written permission of ABC, FOX & the NFL to record the game.....
    He say's not FOX, and they proceed to shoot up his VCR!!!
    LMAO!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, come to think of it, I have posted just ac3s of audio work I've done in the past and nobody ever had a problem with it. I guess all I'd really be doing is posting the video and ac3 combined. See, it's a project where I took a mono soundtrack and worked on it, in an attempt to make it a 5.1. Therefore, in order to get the criticism I need it's obviously necessary to have a member hear my remaster while watching the video... otherwise how would one know if I properly placed/panned vocals, effects, music, etc.?
    Of course, another big issue issue that I forgot to consider is the fact that just because I post something and ask for constructive criticism doesn't necessarily guarantee that anyone will reply/give a crap
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bump, for the sake of questioning (not to nag/be a pain)
    I mentioned in my previous post that it's important to have someone be interested in whatever I post. Is there anyone that actually would be willing to review my work if I were to post a link to it? I know I might be grasping at straws, but I have nowhere else to turn.
    Needless to say, I'd greatly appreciate if someone would raise their hand, so to speak.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From Bells are Ringing - some advise on asking for help with certain file problems....

It's a simple little system any child can understand
    The composers names, we list them with the racetracks of the land
    With this simple little system we'll be close by fortune's door
    And to think that no one ever, ever thought of it before
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo: I'm no legal expert, so I can't be certain, but based on that article I'm pretty sure that I passed the test. I appreciate the link, as I've tried to find info on Fair Use before and it didn't yield satisfactory results. So, thank you

@netmask56: I must admit that I'm rather dense at times... and this would be one of them. I appreciate any reply, but I honestly don't understand what you posted, which sucks, seeing as how the first line contains "any child can understand" ... just place a dunce hat on me, lol!
    Quote Quote