VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I feel this PC is a bit cluttered up with codecs.
    K-Lite codec pack being one of them which i have been reocmmended to stay away from (just havnt yet uninstalled it as i wanted to check here first!)
    Basically i mainly play XviD/DivX and .MKV files.

Can you lot please tell me what video players and codecs are best to handle DivX/XviD and then .MKV and also what the NEEDED codecs are?

A lot of the MKV files have AC3 Audio so what am i best to use for that?
    Am i best using MPC Home Cinema for .mkv files? (H264)?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd recommend you uninstall everything and download/install VLC - no dependencies
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use MPC-HC most times for MKV, but I also have Zoom Player and VLC that handles them with no problems. VLC can struggle with MKV HD video if you don't have a fast computer and video card. Probably what I would recommend is trying ffdshow and it should decode most all what you watch. It's not a codec pack, so it rarely causes problems.

I also have the Divx and Xvid codecs installed, and they don't seem to conflict. MKV is often H.264 with AAC or AC-3 audio. ffdshow should work for that also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since you have K-Lite, it should have installed "Codec Tweak Tool" on your Start menu.

Select "All options" and you can choose to detect codec conflicts, activate or deactivate any codecs.
    You can deactivate any codecs using this and if you find you need them later, reactivate.

You can probably just have ffdshow and Haali splitter active.
    Quote Quote  
  5. MPCHC has internal file readers and decoders for almost all common file formats and A/V codecs. You may need to enable them:

View -> Options -> Internal Filters...

Exit and restart MPCHC for the changes to take effect.
    Quote Quote