VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use two different converters (WinAVI for making DVDs and Apex video converter for converting AVIs to MP4s) and they generally work fine...until today. Now neither one will convert anything. When I try to convert one, it's like they just hang there doing nothing. I did manage to get Apex to make an MP4, but there was only audio and no video, just a black screen. I haven't changed anything on my PC and both programs were working fine last weekend.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Something must have changed on your PC. Did you try a system restore to before last weekend? Do either one of the programs generate an error log? That may tell you the problem. Have you ran a anti-virus scan lately? Having two programs quit at once is unusual.

Neither one of those converters are too popular around here.

You might try the freeware FAVC or DVDFlick for the DVD conversions. Or for payware ConvertXToDVD is very popular.

For MP4 type files, try XviD4PSP or Handbrake.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't know those were unpopular!
    Neither one comes up with any errors, they just don't seem to convert. Or rather, they do, but it looks like they're not doing anything. I waited a bit and another one did finish but again, there was only audio and no video. I know I haven't changed anything on the OS since I last used them. Argh, this stinks! Now I can't convert vids to play on my 'Pad to watch on breaks at work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @nymn - please try any of the programs redwudz suggested. Just because one program you're used to doesn't work the way you want it to doesn't mean you can't do it. Super is another program to try.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try 'em and post again!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Double check system updates which may have installed during this time as these can cause similar symptoms
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I tried ConvertXtoDVD and XviD4PSP. The former worked great! XviD converted, but there was still no video, just audio. The first time I converted some, there was both video and audio, but when I transferred it to the iPad, the video was choppy. It was like watching a bunch of stills with audio. Now there's never any video at all.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any ideas? I have another program I use to rip DVDs into MP4s to watch on it too, and that one's still working fine. The other programs keep giving me no video, though. Another thing is the XviD4PSP program runs a little slow. Like when I choose a file, it'll take a bit for it to respond.
    Quote Quote