VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I own a Pioneer DVR 533H-S.

I think I may have fried the video outputs on it. The composite connections don't give me any image. I haven't tried the component output but I assume that's dead too. There's a firewire connection on the front, but I think that just works with video input...

However, the rest of the unit seems to work fine and the hard drive sounds healthy.

I have some important video on the hard drive, so it'd be nice to at least get those videos burned to disk.

Here are the options and questions on my mind:

1) Am I totally screwed in terms of fixing the video outputs? Do you think it's a "motherboard" type issue, beyond cheap repair? Or how would I determine what the exact problem is?

2) I could pop the hard drive into an identical/compatible DVR and the burn the videos that way. That'd require a getting a Pioneer remote and the software disk, right? Seems like a pain. But is that the best option?

3) Am I correct in assuming that I can't easily get this hard drive read by a CPU so I could get the files off that way? I tried hooking it up to my computer... Can't be read.

4) It occurred to me that I could get a friend's "identical" Pioneer DVR and use the remote to operate my DVR "blind". But I'd have to get an identical DVR since I've noticed differences in menu functionality between models.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

btw, for the next time I buy a DVR, what do you recommend in terms of a product I can actually connect to my computer for burning recorded files? Is TIVO the only product that can do this?
    Last edited by JimmyMcV; 9th May 2010 at 11:20.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a Service Manual for Pioneer DVD recorder models DVR-533H-S, DVR-633H-S, DVR-531H-S:
    http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/tricomp/Audio/DVR/DVR-531H_533H_633H_RRV3173.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote