VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi.

I don't usually give advices on forums, mostly because I'm not a full expert on anything, but I'm willing to stake my house on this one:
    Don't install the K-Lite Codec Packs! Ever! (And it's probably best to try and stay away from other codec packs, too!)

I have re-installed Windows on one of my computers about 5-6 times since I got it, in 2004. Two times, including the most recent installation, I used the K-Lite Codec Pack, and it completely messed up a large amount of settings (mostly related to playback and video editing), causing issues that are making me rip my hair out by the roots, time and time again.
    Uninstalling an installed codec pack is not exactly a great idea, either. It won't be the same as having your PC registry and codec settings clean in the first place
    Of course, message boards like this one have helped be with certain problems, but not by much. (These packs will take quite a lot of liberties with the settings of your poor PC, and even the most knowledgeable people will tell you to do a re-install.)

If you don't believe me, here's a web page more respectable than the thread I initiated:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/Why_Codec_Packs_Are_Bad

So, just say no to K-Lite! It's crap.

Search PM
    Uh oh. Be prepared to face the wrath of the K-Lite fanboys who will be here very shortly...

3. Evidently a good many people install KLite and get away with it. Not that I'm saying it's a good idea, mind you.

Nimo codec pack was the bad one. Curse you Nimo!

[EDIT] If you need to run programs that are the least bit touchy about configuration (BDRB, AVCHDCoder, etc.) then yeah, you're screwed with *any* codec pack.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 8th May 2010 at 06:34.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having read thousands of cries for help on this site over the years, I've lost count of all the times I've read the phrase, "I installed the K-Lite codec pack," somewhere in so many of the posts.

I've also heard from many defenders of codec packs, but I've never seen any point to loading a bundle of codecs that might be redundant or damaging to what's already on a particular computer system. Is it so bad to load codecs one-by-one only as needed? I never load a codec unless a particular media file cannot be played otherwise. But codec packs -- they seem to cause more trouble than solve problems.

Search Comp PM
    A few years ago every K-Lite download I could find had the happy birthday virus in it. Have't bothered with it since.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    Having read thousands of cries for help on this site over the years, I've lost count of all the times I've read the phrase, "I installed the K-Lite codec pack," somewhere in so many of the posts.

I've also heard from many defenders of codec packs, but I've never seen any point to loading a bundle of codecs that might be redundant or damaging to what's already on a particular computer system. Is it so bad to load codecs one-by-one only as needed? I never load a codec unless a particular media file cannot be played otherwise. But codec packs -- they seem to cause more trouble than solve problems.
    They seem to, yes. Because a lot of people think that they should install every codec possible so they can play anything. (This is naive, but not unreasonable, who would expect that Windows would be so fragile that installing media codecs could screw it up -- but of course it can). So they install K-Lite, and CCCP and everything else they come across. Then something goes wrong, there is a conflict and some grizzled veteran says "Codec packs are evil. We Told You So".

I use K-Lite and all it does is give you a unified installer and some (very useful) utilities for exactly the same codecs as you might install by hand.
    IT DOES NOT FORCE YOU TO INSTALL ANY CODEC. You can use it to install just ffdshow, if that's all you want.
    The added value come from the single download, and the Configuration tools that give you an overall control of what codecs are installed and active; including those you install separately or that come with Windows. As well as the native config for each codec, all neatly organised as in the screenshot.

I repeat: The installer OFFERS you dozens of codecs. You CHOOSE which ones are installed and active.
    And you can go back at any time to change these.

I'd followed the conventional wisdom here of installing each codec individually. Until a while ago my daughter installed a media converter on my PC that stomped all over my codecs, then she deleted (not uninstalled) it when it didn't work, leaving a smoking wreck (figuratively). I spent hours trying to clean it up. Finally I thought I had nothing to lose short of a complete reinstall and got K-Lite. It was able to remove the leftover crap and reinstall and configure the codecs I needed.

Of course it isn't perfect, but I have never understood the hostility addressed at it. If you just tick every box, activate everything well you will get exactly what you asked for, it doesn't stop you doing that. You can achieve exactly the same result, good or bad, by installing codecs individually. You'll just save a lot of time.

Basically it's like an electric saw compared to a handsaw. Much faster, easier and more precise. But if you don't pay attention it will cut your finger off very efficiently.

In fact I have wondered why codec packs aren't linked from the Tools page here. There are frankly a lot of obsolete and useless tools there, along with some overpriced payware. But people looking for codec packs have to search and may find them on a dubious site, out of date, even infected. It would be preferable to include the main ones here at least with safe links. People can and will add their comments as they do for other software.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	K-Lite.png
Views:	13365
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	1762  

Last edited by AlanHK; 8th May 2010 at 12:08.

7. Member
    Search PM
    I am using K-lite codec packs for many years now. I do many new systems generations and repairs. I don't remember a single case where the instalation of this codec pack has caused trouble.

What am i doing wrong ????????

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jeanpave View Post
    If you don't believe me, here's a web page more respectable than the thread I initiated:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/Why_Codec_Packs_Are_Bad
    Interesting, but seems lacking in facts.

It's a one-size-fits-all solution. The tools in the pack and the setting changes are always the same.
    It's a scatter-gun approach. You may only need one or two filters or codecs, but the codec pack will come with 10, 20, 30 or more parts!
    Codec packs contain down-level or pirated software.
    None of these points are true. And the codec pack may "come with 10, 20, 30 or more parts" but you choose which parts you want to install.
    As for "pirated" sofware, K-Lite has a "Corporate" edition, which is sqeaky clean using only open source.

Why doesn't this "respectable" reviewer actually say, for instance, which codecs included are pirated, which are obsolete? I'd really like to know that.
    As for settings, these are up to the user to decide.
    It doesn't change anything unless you confirm it.

The real complaint, aside from a bad rep from versions perhaps 10 years ago, is that they aren't idiot proof.

Search PM
    Just like I predicted....here they come....right on cue.

10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    And the codec pack may "come with 10, 20, 30 or more parts" but you choose which parts you want to install.
    Come on, man, who gets a 10-20-30-or-more parts thing, to only use 1 or 2 parts from it?
    I don't know who would get K-Lite to only install ffdshow, for example, when they could get ffdshow stand-alone, just as easily.

The real complaint, aside from a bad rep from versions perhaps 10 years ago, is that they aren't idiot proof.
    Yeah, right!... I'm going to be the idiot, if I use K-Lite ever again!

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Just like I predicted....here they come....right on cue.
    Don't worry, Hech54, I don't care about the people who are happy using K-Lite, as few as they may be. I'm trying to warn the people who don't have it yet.

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have followed the advice given many years ago and not installed k-lite. If you want to call FFDShow a codec pack, then yeah I've installed it. That thing is a swiss army knife and very useful. It has the capability of encoding and decoding lots of video files. So if you're gonna install a codec pack, I'd say just install ffdshow, then install anything else you need one codec at a time.

CogoSWSDS
    Old ICBM Coordinates: 39 45' 0.0224" N 89 43' 1.7548" W. New coordinates: 39 47' 48.0" N 89 38' 35.7548" W.

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had problems playing mts files on Windows in a Duo-core PC a few years back (AVCHD files taken with AVCHD camcorders). Playing of these files was very choppy no matter what media players I tried. I got a tip from someone in this forum and downloaded K-Lite pack. The mts files played beatifully on all media players! I never had any problems with the PC after K-Lite download. It is very possible that K-Lite may create problems for certain hardware or Windows set-up but not all of them. I do not need K-Lite for playing mts files anymore since current CPU's (beyond duo-core) have no problems playing these files.
    Last edited by Ollie6431; 8th May 2010 at 17:34. Reason: typo

Search Comp PM
    And the codec pack may "come with 10, 20, 30 or more parts" but you choose which parts you want to install.
    Come on, man, who gets a 10-20-30-or-more parts thing, to only use 1 or 2 parts from it?
    I don't know who would get K-Lite to only install ffdshow, for example, when they could get ffdshow stand-alone, just as easily.
    That is one extreme. The other extreme is the person who installs everything.
    I have to keep repeating this: YOU CHOOSE which codecs.
    They are exactly the same codecs as you get individually.
    That's where the "non-idiot proof" part comes in, because codecs in Windows in general are messy and buggy however you install them. There is no"one-click solution". K-Lite gives you fewer clicks, you still have to think.

Search Comp PM
    Installing every codec is as stupid as taking every pill in a pharmacy. Both situations can have the same end result: death of the system (one computer, one human). You need to diagnose the issue, and use what is needed to solve the problem. It's that easy.

The majority people that tend to install "codec packs" are warez idiots that don't know anything about video, but download lots and lots of random/unknown videos. It sounds like karma, doesn't it?

Most people are morons when it comes to a computer. When you give them a choice of what to install, most all of them will select everything. Few just pick a few things.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well said, LS. I've been working with computers for years and it's amazing the crap you find. I have gotten on my daughter I don't know how many times about installing random stuff on the computer. Install only what you need. Having said that, what ffdshow does, it does well, in my experience.

As a side note, when I said I've been working with computers for years, I'm not kidding. I wrote my first computer program back in 1980 for a TRS-80 Model I. Not quite back to the punch card days, but pretty close.

CogoSWSDS
    Old ICBM Coordinates: 39 45' 0.0224" N 89 43' 1.7548" W. New coordinates: 39 47' 48.0" N 89 38' 35.7548" W.

16. Member
    Search PM
    That's where the "non-idiot proof" part comes in, because codecs in Windows in general are messy and buggy however you install them. There is no"one-click solution". K-Lite gives you fewer clicks, you still have to think.
    I think calling people who select either practically all or very few of the codecs in the very buggy K-Lite Codec Pack "idiots" is extreme, AlanHK.

This is the second time you've insinuated that we're idiots because we installed the entire codec pack, instead of doing it your way. If you continue to be just as inconsiderate and belligerent, why don't you just go post elsewhere? I haven't created this thread for people like you.

The same thing applies to Lordsmurf.

And listen here, Lordsmurf, I installed the K-Lite Pack right after I installed Windows. Only after that, I installed programs like TMPGEnc Xpress and Sony Vegas. Why don't you tell me what few things of the K-Lite Codec Pack are needed after a fresh install, and which majority of their filters are crap, and shouldn't be installed?

And, then, perhaps it would be a good idea to tell the people who created this codec pack, too. 'Cause maybe they should put that in their disclaimer, so us "morons" and "warez idiots" would know, in the future.

Please, we're dying to know.

17. Want to use K-Lite? - DON'T DO IT!
    just say no to K-Lite! It's crap.

I do agree cent percent. K-lite mess around tons of other codec settings.
    Most of all codec pack installs backdoor too!

Same with FFDShow.

Always Remember to install minimal required codecs from VideoHelp or from authentic web-site.

Search Comp PM
    I dare you to give me one instance where "I installed a codec pack" doesn't coincide with "some videos I downloaded".

Look at what comes in the packages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Lite_Codec_Pack. Don't install something you don't need. How hard is that? Skip the pack, and get the authentic/official versions fro the source sites (i.e., Xvid from Xvid site, etc).

These things are never distributed by a legitimate company, only found on "codec sites", "download sites", or in the file sharing scene. The so-called "official" sites of K-Lite is some shared-host crap codec site that uses free hosting for its forums, and relies on download sites like BetaNews to serve the downloads. It's one of the most obfuscated clusterfucks I've ever seen, in terms of software distribution. It's almost like the creators don't want to claim the software. I would suggest it's for the obvious reasons of historical problems with virus in the downloads, codec conflicts screwing up the computer, etc.

It's no secret that a number of sites, like videohelp, purposely don't list these garbage programs in the software lists.

Sorry if you had to learn it the hard way, but I won't gloss over truth to coddle feelings.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 9th May 2010 at 04:58.

19. Originally Posted by jeanpave View Post
    I've been saying this for the last decade, its killed more systems than its ever helped. Use GSpot to determine what codec you need to play a particular media file and install that codec ONLY and from its original home-site.

Search Comp PM
    I think calling people who select either practically all or very few of the codecs in the very buggy K-Lite Codec Pack "idiots" is extreme, AlanHK.
    I didn't call anyone an idiot. Certainly no one in this thread.

The phrase "idiot proof" is a common term to describe something that is absolutely safe no matter how you use it. And Codec packs are certainly not "idiot proof".

They are convenient, and save time and offer useful management features. They allow you to install a minimal clean set of codecs, or a rickety construction of conflicting software. They are in my opinion, a more pleasant and safer way of managing your codecs, but don't present any barriers to making unwise choices. You have to read up. Simply install only the codecs you need.

This is the second time you've insinuated that we're idiots because we installed the entire codec pack, instead of doing it your way. If you continue to be just as inconsiderate and belligerent, why don't you just go post elsewhere? I haven't created this thread for people like you.
    If however you HAVE installed everything, and screwed up your system I feel sympathy for you, I wouldn't call you an "idiot", but you have only yourself to blame.

As they say in the NRA, Codec packs don't kill Windows, people kill Windows.

why don't you just go post elsewhere? I haven't created this thread for people like you.
    Tough. This is a forum. I am a member. If you want to veto responses that disagree with you, you should post on your personal blog.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    I've been saying this for the last decade, its killed more systems than its ever helped.

Ever heard of the "selection effect"?
    People who don't have problems don't post complaints on forums. You hear a lot more from those who have problems than who don't. You have no idea of how many users are "happy" and how many are not.
    Neither do I, but I don't make up proportions to support my prejudices.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    These things are never distributed by a legitimate company, only found on "codec sites", "download sites", or in the file sharing scene. The so-called "official" sites of K-Lite is some shared-host crap codec site that uses free hosting for its forums, and relies on download sites like BetaNews to serve the downloads. It's one of the most obfuscated clusterfucks I've ever seen, in terms of software distribution. It's almost like the creators don't want to claim the software. I would suggest it's for the obvious reasons of historical problems with virus in the downloads, codec conflicts screwing up the computer, etc.
    The official site is http://www.codecguide.com/ One problem is that Googling for "K-Lite" can lead you to a lot of other sites that may or may not be real mirrors.
    I don't really care what host they use, as long as I can get the files. That has nothing to do with the quality of the software. Plenty of excellent software is on weird sites, or fallen off the net entirely -- look at how many software tools listed here are hosted by Videohelp with whatever original site long dead.

They give the MD5 of the download so you can verify it.

No doubt there is along involved history, and likely it did grow out of the "warez community". Nevertheless, it has gone through a long maturation process and seems pretty solid now. I don't know of any non-legit software included. It certainly doesn't include any cracked commercial software.

And my personal experience is that it (specifically, the installer and Tweak tool) can fix codec conflicts. That alone was worth the download, when just installing the standard codecs was getting me nowhere.

23. The core issues are that codec packs aren't properly evaluated and compared (at least, by people who understand AV playback well), and that people simply install whatever they come across without knowing if the software is safe or reliable. There's dodgy software out there, and some codec packs (especially in the past) fall into that category.

Another issue is that installing certain codecs can interfere with the operation of some video editing/encoding applications, whether it's through a codec pack or directly from a website. That's something you have to deal with no matter what.

Search Comp PM
    I don't understand why anyone would need to sue a codec pack. Between FFDShow and a good player (KM Player, VLC amongst others) there is pretty much nothing that cannot be played back.

For encoding, install the codecs you need, as you need them. For most people very few will be needed anyway.

Installing a codec pack is like trying to catch a mouse with a shotgun.
    Read my blog here.

25. CCCP = ffdshow(-tryouts) + haali's splitter + vsfilter + MPC-HC, with conservative default settings and a settings application. It's what most people would want to install anyway (with the exception of vsfilter, which is for fancy subtitles) so I had no problems recommending it. It's just that it's gotten a bit long in the tooth now since the last release was in Sep 09 and it's better to get up-to-date ffdshow-tryouts and MPC-HC instead, or even the DivX H.264 decoder.

Prior to CCCP's emergence, the recommended minimalist codec pack I was aware of was DefilerPak - maybe some of you remember that? That one was generally regarded as the answer to the crappy codec mishmash packs of the day, and relied on ffdshow+haali's+vsfilter+afewotherthings as well.

There's a lot of animosity towards K-Lite in other places I frequent (including in the CCCP community), and I remember the old days when the K-Lite Megapack was truly a nuisance (to forum posters answering requests for help) or worse (to the requesters themselves). I heard it cleaned up its act somewhat with the shift away from ridiculous and problematic kitchensink-type codec packs a few years ago, but I've not evaluated it recently. AlanHK makes a cogent enough case for its usage in my view, with the caveat that it's a convenient shortcut for people who know what codecs they need.
    Last edited by creamyhorror; 9th May 2010 at 21:24.

Search Comp PM
    I've been seeing a few beta releases for CCCP show up, lately, on Fileforum (Betanews... yeah, yeah, LS ), here.

I still don't know if I'd even recommend CCCP, though, but that's because I'm long since used to just manually installing and tweaking everything, myself.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I stopped using codec packs a long time ago but not because they caused problems, just didn't make sense to download something that contained more stuff that I don't need than do need. Now I install, ffdshow, ac3filter, vobsub, xvid and nothing else.

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was once a fan of Codec Packs but after the interent became less of bunch of pages just hobbled together I left them in my past. i had too many issues and too many problems when I used them. Now like Marioval just ffdshow and ac3filter will do it really for me. I never thought authors of various codecs would like having their stuff chopped up and rolled into something else, especially something that made it seem like you needed it in order to run some p2p software.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bigstusexy View Post
    I never thought authors of various codecs would like having their stuff chopped up and rolled into something else, especially something that made it seem like you needed it in order to run some p2p software.
    And some of them had been very vocally opposed to it in the past. I believe a few even changed their licensing because of it. But it's been years since much of that happened. K-lite has more or less been forgotten, something that is now mostly used by fools and the clueless.

30. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I dont use any codecs packs at all,just what i need,such as CoreAVC 2.0(which i paid for)xvid,ac3filter,AC3ACM and Avisynth,installing klite with options to install what you think you need is dependent on the users knowledge of needed codecs and those users almost always install what they need individually like i do and as others here.

The ones who need to install k-lite to get their video to run usually install everything and thus find their systems hosed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.