VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello, newbie to the site! Not sure if this is the right place to post but....

I'm going to be doing quite a bit of transferring old home videos etc to dvd and digitally for family and friends and I wanted to know whats the best vcr out there for me to get. I'll be using the Canopus advc 300 with whatever vcr I end up getting.

When doing research I keep seeing these 2 models pop up. 1) JVC HR-S9911 2) Panasonic AG-1980. The problem is, well it's not too big of a problem, they are discontinued and not making these types of vcr's anymore. So I have to find these used on ebay or some other place.

My question is, are either of these the best route to go for high quality vhs conversion and also do you know if there are new current similar vcr models that are being made today?

Also, what standalone dvd recorder would you recommend if I wanted to burn straight to dvd instead of using my computers dvd recorder?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. How many tapes are we talking, can the material be found on dvd's for sale or other places? In other words, if someone else has done all the work for you and , like me, you have 100's of tapes, it reduces the workload.

The first decision you have to make is how much time can you/ do you want to invest?

The computer capture route may result in better quality but is very time consuming on both learning and producing, a dvd recorder can be the simplest way with good quality, there can be some trade off, it is that route I have chosen.

DVD recorders that are available in the USA, current models, are poor either in quality recording or construction or both, used machines are a lottery. same with VCR's.

What is your budget if you have one, and unless you already have a advc 300, save your money and use it on a good vcr or on a TBC, avt 8710 or datavideo TBC 1000.
    Last edited by victoriabears; 6th May 2010 at 15:28.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please don't cross post. I removed you other thread.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Please don't cross post. I removed you other thread.
    Sorry about that. Wasnt sure which thread was appropriate to post in.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    How many tapes are we talking, can the material be found on dvd's for sale or other places? In other words, if someone else has done all the work for you and , like me, you have 100's of tapes, it reduces the workload.

The first decision you have to make is how much time can you/ do you want to invest?

The computer capture route may result in better quality but is very time consuming on both learning and producing, a dvd recorder can be the simplest way with good quality, there can be some trade off, it is that route I have chosen.

DVD recorders that are available in the USA, current models, are poor either in quality recording or construction or both, used machines are a lottery. same with VCR's.

What is your budget if you have one, and unless you already have a advc 300, save your money and use it on a good vcr or on a TBC, avt 8710 or datavideo TBC 1000.
    Well I'm doing some video editing also with Final Cut so I need something to capture and convert and edit in Final Cut. But I wanted a good VCR to capture in the best quality possible.

I'm havent bought the advc 300 yet but I'm pretty sure I need it since I'll be editing some of my video afterwards. I was hoping after purchasing the advc 300 ($380) I could find a good s vhs vcr with TBC for $200 or less. But if it's brand new I'd consider paying more.

Any suggestions? Do you still suggest vt 8710 or datavideo TBC 1000 with my advc 300?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I am not all that qualified on computer capture but I had a advc300 and it really is only a fancy dv converter which can be achieved much cheaper with a ads pyro link for example., it is very reliable and has no audio synch issues though and the image enhancers can work well, but as you will converting the result into divx or dvd anyway you can enhance on the computer,

How many tapes?//how much time you got?

A TBC is only as essential as you discover it is, my tapes are mostly 1st class and the tbc does indeed clean up the image for capture. The tbc 1000 is the stronger of the two.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    So any old vcr will work since the tbc 1000 will clean it up?? I still need to figure out the best vcr for the job.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Just use a DVD/VHS dual deck dvd recorder, it sav you time & later you can edit it on your computer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Just use a DVD/VHS dual deck dvd recorder, it sav you time & later you can edit it on your computer.
    But what kind of dvd/vhs recorder? I cant seem to find a svhs vcr with tbc thats new. Will any jvc used one do the trick or the two models i listed above?
    Quote Quote  
  10. You will have to forgive our rather brief replies, if you research on this forum you will find that this issues has been discussed and advised upon more times that the clock has struck 12.

I have asked you questions you do not reply to:

If it is only a small number, it is a different answer to if its hundreds, also if you want a quick easy solution or a quality /perfection solution?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Just use a DVD/VHS dual deck dvd recorder, it sav you time & later you can edit it on your computer.
    I am just stunned at this suggestion. I really expected more from a long time and very active member. DVD/VCR combo units are infamous for sometimes refusing to copy even homemade VHS tapes to DVD.

Canes - that suggestion is just absolutely awful and I suggest you ignore it. You're much better off with separate units. Magnavox and Pioneer are pretty much the best DVD recorders in the USA, but you'll have to look on Amazon.com to get one. Stores like Best Buy don't seem to stock DVD recorders any more. And if you go the DVD recorder route, while you can theoretically edit the video like as handyguy says, you gain NOTHING by doing so. You'll have to burn the video to DVD and then rip that to your PC in order to edit it. Might as well just capture to the PC to begin with as do that. Some DVD recorders with hard disks do have limited editing capabilities, so you might look into that if it interests you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The 9911 JVC VCR and earlier models do not like LP or SLP recordings, so start with a good 1980P , and a dvd recorder as suggested, then see if it gets you what you want. give us more info in order to help you, what are the recordings, camcorder?

I do not necessarily agree about combo units being crap, but many are. how about this:-

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/category/category.aspx?category=155438261
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    You will have to forgive our rather brief replies, if you research on this forum you will find that this issues has been discussed and advised upon more times that the clock has struck 12.

I have asked you questions you do not reply to:

If it is only a small number, it is a different answer to if its hundreds, also if you want a quick easy solution or a quality /perfection solution?
    Well after the 50 or so tapes I do for my family it will evolve into a part time business. Transferring vhs, hi8, vhs-c etc.

I want quality/perfection. Sometimes I will need to do a straight analog to dvd burn with no editing and other times I'll do video editing using Final Cut.

I just basically need to know if there is a new svhs that I can buy that's similar to the two models I mentioned in my original post and if not, what other svhs recorders would you suggest I buy new/used. I also need info on what would be a decent standalone dvd recorder.

1) What SVHS Recorder do you recommend for quality recording/transfer to digital (needs to have TBC feature).
    2) What DVD Recorder to you recommend in case I want to record straight from vhs to dvd without editing source.

I have Final Cut Studios and Express for video editing and I want to buy Canopus ADVC 300 to hook up to whatever vcr I get for converting the vhs, hi8, vhs-c etc. I want the dvd recorder in case I just need to quickly to a straight transfer.

Think of me as a small business wanting quality but also on a budget. Quality comes first and budget will change to a point if needed for quality. If anyone is able to answer my two questions above, model specific, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much for all your input so far!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    The 9911 JVC VCR and earlier models do not like LP or SLP recordings, so start with a good 1980P , and a dvd recorder as suggested, then see if it gets you what you want. give us more info in order to help you, what are the recordings, camcorder?

I do not necessarily agree about combo units being crap, but many are. how about this:-

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/category/category.aspx?category=155438261
    Okay so you'd suggest the Panasonic over the JVC. I'll have to find a used one since they all seem to be discontinued. It would be nice if there was a new one to buy since I'm kind of leary buying an old vcr from someone.

Thanks for the advice and if you happen to think of anything else that might help me please let me know. OR if you know of any similar models that you think will work for what I'm doing.

Thanks again!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I know the dvd/vhs recorder combos are looked down upon but this looks like something that might suit me.

http://www.produplicator.com/jvcdvsdude.html

I'm going to keep looking for standalone units though
    Quote Quote  
  16. Canes
    How many VHS tapes are we talking about AND What is the recording quality
    -- ie --- Speed .? Are they CP if not why would you nee a TBC? Use of a PC would require correct hardware and software, Either with a PC or standalone
    Garbage in Garbage out

Your Quote
    “So any old vcr will work since the tbc 1000 will clean it up?? I still need to figure out the best vcr for the job.”

Clean Up What
    Some [quote\] high quality VCR’s could actually create additional problems [depending on the condition of a tape --[as raged edges etc]
    When converting some tapes it may be better using a VHS as found in a Combo unit or VHS playbacl pnly or
    Play/Record
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LCSHG View Post
    Canes
    How many VHS tapes are we talking about AND What is the recording quality
    -- ie --- Speed .? Are they CP if not why would you nee a TBC? Use of a PC would require correct hardware and software, Either with a PC or standalone
    Garbage in Garbage out

Your Quote
    “So any old vcr will work since the tbc 1000 will clean it up?? I still need to figure out the best vcr for the job.”

Clean Up What
    Some [quote\] high quality VCR’s could actually create additional problems [depending on the condition of a tape --[as raged edges etc]
    When converting some tapes it may be better using a VHS as found in a Combo unit or VHS playbacl pnly or
    Play/Record
    Read my other post about the 2 questions I'm trying to get answered. I was thinking I would want TBC so whenever I transfer a vhs to dvd, if the tape was old or the quality was bad it would clean it up a little. I know I can clean it up more in my NLE system on the computer but if I just want to do a straight transfer, I want the best possible quality. I'm starting out with roughly 50 tapes but eventually it will be an ongoing thing with my business. So I want something with great quality but also fast.

Here is my other post:

Well after the 50 or so tapes I do for my family it will evolve into a part time business. Transferring vhs, hi8, vhs-c etc.

I want quality/perfection. Sometimes I will need to do a straight analog to dvd burn with no editing and other times I'll do video editing using Final Cut.

I just basically need to know if there is a new svhs that I can buy that's similar to the two models I mentioned in my original post and if not, what other svhs recorders would you suggest I buy new/used. I also need info on what would be a decent standalone dvd recorder.

1) What SVHS Recorder do you recommend for quality recording/transfer to digital (needs to have TBC feature).
    2) What DVD Recorder to you recommend in case I want to record straight from vhs to dvd without editing source.

I have Final Cut Studios and Express for video editing and I want to buy Canopus ADVC 300 to hook up to whatever vcr I get for converting the vhs, hi8, vhs-c etc. I want the dvd recorder in case I just need to quickly to a straight transfer.

Think of me as a small business wanting quality but also on a budget. Quality comes first and budget will change to a point if needed for quality. If anyone is able to answer my two questions above, model specific, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much for all your input so far!
    Quote Quote  
  18. There Panasonic 1980 vcr's for sale on ebay that are new !,,the panasonics are less harsh on correcting and suit my tapes better, but many swear by the JVC's, again this issue has been discussed ad naseum on this forum, do a search and do some reading.

The difficulty your are going to find, as I have, is that vhs tapes play better in some machines than others, I even found chaining them in series removed some sparklies form one tape !
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    There Panasonic 1980 vcr's for sale on ebay that are new !,,the panasonics are less harsh on correcting and suit my tapes better, but many swear by the JVC's, again this issue has been discussed ad naseum on this forum, do a search and do some reading.

The difficulty your are going to find, as I have, is that vhs tapes play better in some machines than others, I even found chaining them in series removed some sparklies form one tape !

Can you tell me where the list of quality vcr's are on this site? I read somewhere on here that there is a list of recommended vcr's and that's basically what I need.

Nevermind...I think I found it. The problem is none of high quality JVC's with TBC are available on ebay. I never thought it would be this hard to find a good quality vhs recorder!

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/286055-VCR-buying-guide-%28S-VHS-D-VHS-Professional...light=vcr+list
    Last edited by Canes; 10th May 2010 at 20:07.
    Quote Quote  
  20. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=s-vhs%20vcr&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A4%257C39%2....c0.m14&_pgn=2

from that search on ebay.com, using s-vhs vcr i would suggest the following:=, you could also search super vhs vcr or svhs vcr as sellers use many different terms.

You should note that to transfer my vast vhs collection I have over 10 vcr's and have discovered those purchases were worthwhile as vhs tapes play back better in some machines than others, get a 1980P to start with then get any of the others if you find that does not work, I would not suggest doing vhs transfers for other people, they expect too much.
    I come from PAL land and my PAL transfers have resulted in much better quality than my ntsc recordings but the latter were sadly done using slp speed !! Oh why do we do these things

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-SR-V101US-S-VHS-VCR-Super-VHS-ET-Professional-/250613122126?cm...item3a59b4c44e

http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-AG-1980P-S-VHS-EDITOR-PRO-RECORDER-SVHS-DECK-/3503517939...item5192981f18

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-HR-S5000U-DIGITAL-SUPER-VHS-S-VHS-SVHS-VCR-DECK-/120566050167?...item1c124bed77

http://cgi.ebay.com/MITSUBISHI-HS-HD2000U-SVHS-DVHS-Digital-VHS-VCR-S-VHS-/40011980094...item5d28ffa474

http://cgi.ebay.com/S-VHS-VHS-Hi-Fi-VCR-Panasonic-AG-1980P-Editor-Movie-/270576850858?...item3effa317aa
    Last edited by victoriabears; 10th May 2010 at 22:38.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Canes -- as a side-note, if you plan to parlay this into a business, you're going to want a lot more equipment, especially VCRs --- you're really going to want several different ones, as the higher-end JVCs and Panasonics won't always play every tape as well as a regular VCR will.

Also -- the DataVideo TBC-1000 is more for dealing with dropped frames and video signal issues that can lead to capture problems. It will not "clean up" your video aside from slightly softening it on some DataVideo units.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks...is that ag-1980 fully functional without a remote? It seems it is and it also seems most of these remotes are missing
    Quote Quote  
  23. Yes the remote for the 1980 is a bit of a luxury not like more modern machines that have no "on board" controls. For the JVC machines you need it to access menu options for the dnr, but the remotes are easilly found.

I wish you luck doing this as a business, I have been at this for five years or more as had many treasures on vhs from the UK that you cannot get on dvd, and I would not do it as a business, the time required to realise customers expectations is out of whack with what you can charge. The profit margin must be low.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Well I have to say thanks for this thread. I've checked eBay occasionally after reading different threads about the Panasonic AG-1980P & JVC models before without success. Last night, I found an auction for the Panasonic for $49 Buy-It-Now, so I snatched it up!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=s-vhs%20vcr&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A4%257C39%2....c0.m14&_pgn=2

from that search on ebay.com, using s-vhs vcr i would suggest the following:=, you could also search super vhs vcr or svhs vcr as sellers use many different terms.

You should note that to transfer my vast vhs collection I have over 10 vcr's and have discovered those purchases were worthwhile as vhs tapes play back better in some machines than others, get a 1980P to start with then get any of the others if you find that does not work, I would not suggest doing vhs transfers for other people, they expect too much.
    I come from PAL land and my PAL transfers have resulted in much better quality than my ntsc recordings but the latter were sadly done using slp speed !! Oh why do we do these things

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-SR-V101US-S-VHS-VCR-Super-VHS-ET-Professional-/250613122126?cm...item3a59b4c44e

http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-AG-1980P-S-VHS-EDITOR-PRO-RECORDER-SVHS-DECK-/3503517939...item5192981f18

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-HR-S5000U-DIGITAL-SUPER-VHS-S-VHS-SVHS-VCR-DECK-/120566050167?...item1c124bed77

http://cgi.ebay.com/MITSUBISHI-HS-HD2000U-SVHS-DVHS-Digital-VHS-VCR-S-VHS-/40011980094...item5d28ffa474

http://cgi.ebay.com/S-VHS-VHS-Hi-Fi-VCR-Panasonic-AG-1980P-Editor-Movie-/270576850858?...item3effa317aa
    Unfortunately I didn't win the Mitsubishi you posted but I did an AG-1980 for $50 without a remote. I got this before the mitsubishi but was trying to get that one also
    Quote Quote  
  26. PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    ??
    Quote Quote