VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have put an M2TS file thru TSRemux to remove the unwanted audio tracks. An output file has come out without any association.
    Looks like this:

Then I tried to open this up by MPCHC player and I did so. But I don't want to use MPCHC player because it doesn't play back this video well (sometimes can see some discoloration, static). I tried to open this file by WMP unsuccessfully (no audio and video as well, just black death screen, however could see that time and a slider progresses). And that's what a message I had opening up WMP:

Any advice, please.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    REname to .m2ts ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Damn This was a lightning speed reaction
    I don't understand clearly. Do you want me to try to rename the file or you ask me did I rename this file before ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. First, turn off the "Hide extensions for known file types" option in Windows Explorer. From Explorer:

Tool -> Folder Options -> View

That will let you see the file extension on all filenames. This is critical information because that is how windows associates applications with files. Now you can right click on a file and change the extension (rename). If it doesn't have an extension you can add one.

But note that renaming a file's extension does not make it that type of file. You can rename a Word DOC with AVI as the extension but that doesn't make it a video. If you have a file type without an association you can right click on the file and select Open With -> Choose Program. That dialog will let you select an application to open the file. If you enable the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" option you will create a new file type association.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd May 2010 at 08:36.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    First, turn off the "Hide extensions for known file types" option in Windows Explorer. From Explorer:

Tool -> Folder Options -> View
    And I did so. Thanks
    Now I can see a WMP icon that marks the file.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But note that renaming a file's extension does not make it that type of file. You can rename a Word DOC with AVI as the extension but that doesn't make it a video.
    Sure thing.
    But a film (the same file) being played back in WMP still has no video, no audio either. I don't know why this happens.

I'm going to put this file again thru TSRemux and see what goes on.
    Last edited by mahogany; 2nd May 2010 at 09:26.
    Quote Quote