VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I purchased the WD TV Live HD Media Player for my home theater. I absolutely love this device. I have a server with High Quality DVD movies each movie is ripped as one VOB file instead of individual 1 gb chunks.

However there is a problem with only certain movies like "Without a paddle" and "Independence day." I have the WD TV LIVE set to show the file size and those movies and other movies file size registers as being only 385 MB, but in fact the size is 7 GB or greater, the issue is that these movies will only play for about 10 or 20 minutes and then return back to the file screen and some movies will freeze like "Without a Paddle". My Computers over the Network have no problem playing these movies with Nero showtime or Windows Media Player 11 and the correct file size is read correctly.

My question: Is there some sort of Copy protection some how responsible for this problem happening on the WD TV Live?
    How come this issue is only happening with the WD TV Live. It plays all other Vob files without a problem so their has to be some sort of protection that is preventing the WD TV Live playing certain movies.

I have all known protection removed and fake VTS files removed. I am extremely puzzled????HELP
    Last edited by dvdsham; 1st May 2010 at 20:44.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't normally have big VOB files sitting around but I happen to have one right now. It's about 5.5 GB. The WDTV Live showed the correct file size but didn't play it properly. It started playing the movie but showed it as only 4.5 minutes long. When I tried to fast forward it stopped playing before it got to the 4.5 minute mark. I remuxed it into an MPG container with VOB2MPG, same problems. I remuxed into MPG with Mpg2Cut2, same problems again. I remuxed into an MKV container, the correct size was shown, the correct movie length was shown, and it played normally.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Jagabo What program did you use to convert the file to MKV? Is there any loss of picture and sound quality?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I used MkvToolnix (mmg.exe). There is no loss of picture or sound quality. All MakeMKV does is take the video and audio streams from the VOB files and repackages them into MKV file. Only takes a few minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I used MkvToolnix (mmg.exe). There is no loss of picture or sound quality. All MakeMKV does is take the video and audio streams from the VOB files and repackages them into MKV file. Only takes a few minutes.

Thanks
    Quote Quote