VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a mkv file that is 4.37gb which is perfect for a dvd disk, but my blu-ray player only plays avchd disks and I only have normal dvd disks. I want to know how to fit it onto a normal dvd disk without changing the audio because the audio quality is already kind of low. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will have to re-encode the video. Chances are that the file is no compliant, in that it;s resolution will have been cropped, so you will have to re-encode to correct for that as well. Multi-AVCHD or AVCHDCoder will both happily make sure your video is compliant, and keep you existing audio (assuming it is also compliant). AVCHDCoder will automatically calculate the correct video bitrate for you, Multi-AVCHD tends to produce oversize discs using it's own calculations, so use an external bitrate calculator and manually enter a bitrate in the Transcode settings.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info, but I do not know about bit rates and stuff I just know the higher the bit rate the better quality. The bit rate for the video is 3588 kb/s and what should I change it to?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to use a bitrate calculator. Filesize = bitrate x running time. You enter the audio bitrate and the target size, and it will tell you the bitrate
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    alright i tried AVCHDCoder but its been taking a very long time like its been 2 hours and the encoding pass 1 is 0%, so I'm just wondering is there any other program to reduce the bitrate. And I do not know how to use multiavchd to reduce bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Multi-AVCHD - add a file, then click on the file and it will open the file properties. Click on Transcode, and here you can set a video bitrate.

If your computer specs are correct, don't expect to see any conversion finish in under 5- 6 hours, even at the lowest quality settings. I encode on a base level quad core (Q6600) and a high quality AVCHDCoder encode takes 3- 4 hours, with Multi-AVCHD taking around the same on a two-pass fast encode.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or you can use Ripbot, which is what I usually use. Works well, and you can re-encode using the 2-pass option and setting the Lock to the file size you want. I use it all the time. And it won't change your audio either.
    Quote Quote