VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys.My question is what program will help me change the aspect ratio of mkvs so that i will be able to watch movies with 2.35:1 ratio on my LCD TV in fullscreen.I'm watching the movies through the usb flash drive and the internal player doesn't have an option to zom the image.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are the MKVs being decoded/played directly by your TV? Surely your remote allows you to select the zoom/aspect ratio?

You can change the display aspect ratio of MKVs using MKVmergeGUI, but I don't know if that is really the problem. Your TV could simply have its aspect ratio setting wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2.35:1 is wider than your screen, hence the bars. You cannot use the aspect ratio in the mkv container to change this, you will have to either use the zoom on your TV or player, or crop and re-encode the video so it fits a 16:9 (1.778:1) screen. Or learn to accept the fact that 16:9 is just one of many, many aspect ratios used in film making, and stop getting so upset about a couple of inches of black screen.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm watching the movies through usb and the internal player of the tv simply doesn't have any zoom option.I've tried with mkvmerge but it has no effect; i've also heard about automkv but i don't know how to use it, i'm not getting any output (pnly a temp folder).
    So, the only solution is reencoding(which takes plenty of hours from which i know)??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All you can do is crop the sides and enlarge. Not sure what program can deal with an MKV file but take a look at avisynth and virtualdub

Many modern films shot in 2.35 format are framed to allow cropping of the sides for HDTV release and some are multi shot.

Check out http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/index.htm#main%20index for a discussion on the pro's and cons and some good illustrations.
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote