VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several avi files which MPC will play with no problems. These same files when converted to VOBs with DVD Flick or played with an upconverting player (Oppo) on a TV have brief (1-2 secs) video freezes throughout. Both sound and video freeze in the VOBs and only video when upconverted, I think I understand why.

Examination of the files with GSpot shows continuous sequences of P frames at the freeze times which I assume is as it should be. What I don't understand is why MPC plays them with no pause.

Do I have the wrong codecs in DVD Flick and the upconverting player? Can this be fixed so that video flows smoothly in VOBs and for the upconverting player?

Help/explanation appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are your computer specs(processor, operating system, etc)?

One possible suggestion....... I have a decent computer at home but my laptop computer is fairly weak on processing power. My computer at home can handle lots of video players and lots of video files. However, my weak laptop gets jitter with certain types of video files or video players. That is why I asked what type of computer you have.

I do not use media player classic....... I use media player classic home cinema.

I have certain files which play fine for me on MPCHC but they won't work at all with VLC media player...... and vice versa. For the larger files, MPCHC is generally better for me.

TC
    My Dell PC system info.....3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7 processor....... 12 gigs of ram DDR3...... Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.......video card Nvidia GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The avi files play fine on the PC with MPC. The issue arises when they are converted to VOBs or are played on a stand alone DivX player.

The PC propeties follow:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
    System Model GC515AA-ABA a6009n
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2009 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.01, 02/02/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Total Physical Memory 3,072.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 2.06 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Hard Drives 320 GB, 750 GB
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Am I understanding correctly........when you open the files with a software player(MPC) they work fine but when you burn them to a DVD and try to play them on physical hardware then they freeze up on you?

TC
    My Dell PC system info.....3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7 processor....... 12 gigs of ram DDR3...... Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.......video card Nvidia GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep you got it!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay...... well honing in on this point that you made originally.....

Originally Posted by hibbs View Post
    Both sound and video freeze in the VOBs and only video when upconverted, I think I understand why.
    Your problem is almost certainly an encoding issue. Your output files are encoded in such a way that your software player can decode them...... but the files are not encoded in such a way that they can be upconverted by your hardware player.

Of course, you have probably figured all this out already.

As far as a solution goes...... I can offer a guess but keep in mind that you are getting your $$'s worth from me

You could take one of your old DVD's which does successfully upconvert on your hardware player. Determine which type of encoding was used for that. Then use that same encoding method to make your new DVD's.

Somebody else here might have a better suggestion.

TC
    Quote Quote