VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi i want to duplicate video layer add Gaussian blur and median blur and apply blend mode to color, is that possible? if it is it will be a life savior so i can do all my editing in avisynth rather than using photoshop, if so what will be an example thanks.
    all i wanna do is remove color noise but photoshop takes ages.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll let someone else suggest AVISynth filtering options. But I would try a representative clip in VirtualDub as it can duplicate a lot of the AVISynth filters, though at a much slower filtering speed and maybe not as versatile. But it would give you an idea what is possible and a lot easier to set up than AVISynth, unless you understand code and the filters themselves. If you apply a blur, that really doesn't do much for removing color noise. You might try NeatVideo as it does fairly well with noise filtering. Most times, color noise is not easy to correct. I've resorted to converting to a B+W video to eliminate it and get a viewable video.

Lots of VD filters here: http://www.thedeemon.com/VirtualDubFilters/ If you can do something with those, then a AVISynth filter chain would be faster and probably more flexible. ColorMill2 is also handy for correcting color after noise filtering in VD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks but neat video doesnt remove color noise like photoshop does but i was wondering if i could repeat what i do in photoshop ( same technique) in virtualdub or avisynth. or forget about color noise all i want to do is duplicate layer then add Gaussian blur and median blur then blend or overlay to color.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Could you post a short representative video clip of the color noise? Then someone here may be able to suggest a method of cleaning it up. We have a 30MB cap on attachment size, but even ten seconds of video may be enough. Preferably in the original format.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you just want to remove color noise using Avisynth, try

fft3dgpu(plane=3,sigma=10)

and modify sigma up or down from there. It works very well on my camera's chroma-noisy footage.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by creamyhorror View Post
    If you just want to remove color noise using Avisynth, try

fft3dgpu(plane=3,sigma=10)

and modify sigma up or down from there. It works very well on my camera's chroma-noisy footage.
    thank you man this saves me more time now as i dont have to do all these steps in PS and works great.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It does, huh. It's also really good for certain old TV series and movie DVDs with splotches of purplish-red discoloration everywhere. Drawback is a bit of loss of red color in general, but it's a small price to pay.
    Quote Quote