VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT: This is a continuation of the codec conflicts in my system from this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319509-VDM-Won-t-Encode-to-MP3 . For those of you facing a similar problem as me, I suggest for you to read the suggestions in both threads beforehand. It can be very helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there.

So I recently uninstalled K-Lite Mega Codec Pack since it seemed to have a bunch of conflicting codecs that messed up my system. So on advice of the nice guys at VideoHelp, I converted to ffdshow and Haali.

I have a bunch of MKV Files that need to be converted so that my standalone DivX player can read it. The AVISynth script I use for all these files:

Code:
    Directshowsource("Filename.mkv", fps=##.###, convertfps=true)
    LanczosResize(720,400)
    So I decide to encode using VirtualDubMod. I open the script through that and it loads OK. I convert the AAC Audio to MP3. I select ffdshow from the video compression settings and select "Configure." I select XVID from there, and configure it to optimal options for my player.

The problem: VDM crashes on me. A screenshot is attached below. Here's the full report:

Code:
      Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    BEX
      Application Name:    VirtualDubMod.exe
      Application Version:    1.5.10.3
      Application Timestamp:    4770e0b3
      Fault Module Name:    ffdshow.ax
      Fault Module Version:    1.0.7.3135
      Fault Module Timestamp:    4b1e91ca
      Exception Offset:    00249890
      Exception Code:    c0000417
      Exception Data:    00000000
      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    4105
      Additional Information 1:    ad89
      Additional Information 2:    ad8945dbe67920babe48c222e6fb524f
      Additional Information 3:    8a13
      Additional Information 4:    8a13f7f19fe897c48836a69cab9d963f

Read our privacy statement online: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline: C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    My taskbar become full of Haali and ffdshow icons and all but two Haali icons dissapear when my mouse hovers over them. What happened? I am hesitant in installing a seperate XVID codec, since I already have in ffdshow apparently. My current hypothesis is that since ffdshow is decoding the MKV File, it can't encode it at the same time. But I still don't know.

Thanks for this community's help.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1281
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1492  

Last edited by adalect; 28th Apr 2010 at 20:48. Reason: Placed Link to Similar Thread at Begginning
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's hard to say what the problem is. But there's no reason you can't have Xvid and ffdshow installed at the same time. You could also try using a different encoder in ffdshow (MPEG2, h.264) just as a test. Or try a different version of ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    ...there's no reason you can't have Xvid and ffdshow installed at the same time.
    Wouldn't there be too many codecs and codec conflicts if I do that. The entire reason I got rid of the codec pack was to solve taht problem.

You could also try using a different encoder in ffdshow (MPEG2, h.264) just as a test.
    I tried the "MPEG-4" option. It worked. So not everything is a mess yet.

Or try a different version of ffdshow.
    I think I am using the latest version though. "ffdshow tryouts" (a so-called better and maintained version) beta 7, rev 3154.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adalect View Post
    Wouldn't there be too many codecs and codec conflicts if I do that. The entire reason I got rid of the codec pack was to solve taht problem.
    ffdshow is designed to be capable of running alongside Xvid, if you prefer - note that in the picture I'm attaching, I've set the decoder for Xvid to... well, 'Xvid.' That tells it to use Xvid's dlls rather than ffdshow's for decoding Xvid.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1520
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1498

I don't normally have it set to do that, though. But other than that, I've never had a problem having both ffdshow and Xvid installed.

Your version of ffdshow is a little out-of-date - the current version is r3356, I believe.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the 2 page thread you had going, I thought you had everything fixed. Nowhere in that thread did you mention that you were running Windows 7 64 bit. I just happened to look at your computer details.

I'm not sure that fcchandler ever created a 64bit Virtualdubmod and if so, you'll need a 64 bit version of ffdshow and 64 bit versions of codecs and plugins. I'm not sure how many of those are obtainable which is why most people just install and use 32bit versions.

There was a way to install 32bit codecs in Vista and XP 64 bit but my friend just installed Windows 7 ultimate 64 and we could not get the codecs to install via the syswow64 command.

We had to use Virtual XP which he had to download from Microsoft to load Virtualdub 32bit 1.9.9 and all the codecs and plugins. If he needs to do video stuff then he just clicks a button to activate the XP OS. IMO, Windows 7 is a total waste of an operating system, especially if you have to use virtual xp to do half of your computing because certain hardware, software, codecs and drivers are not compatible.

Maybe someone will respond that has Virtualdub working on Windows 7 64 with all the codecs and plugins.

P.S.
    As for the ffdshow conflict concern, that's why I recommended turning off all codecs at installation, manually installing all the codecs you need (XviD, DivX, MP3, AC3 etc...) and turning on the VFW codecs that you need afterwards. It probably would've been better just to have replied back to tha other thread instead of starting a new one so that everyone could see what you've already tried and what all has already been suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might try this to get 32 bit codecs installed in Windows 7 64bit for Virtualdub 32bit with ffdshow 32bit.
    Just change the directory for each inf you need to install.

I just downloaded Lame ACM 3.97.4 and followed the instructions in the included "HOWTO Install LAME-ACM on x64.txt" file:
    1. Extract it to for example c:\lame

2. Run cmd with admin rights (ctrl+shift+return)

3. cd %windir%\SysWOW64

4. rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 C:\lame\LameACM.inf
    Step 2 might be a little confusing: Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories and place the mouse cursor over "Command Prompt". You can the press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, or right click and select Run As Administrator. You should get the usual admin escalation dialog. Be sure to type the instructions in lines 3 and 4 exactly. Use copy/paste if you want to be extra sure.

After this installation the 32 bit version of VirtualDub shows the 32 bit "Lame MP3" encoder in the audio compressor list.

Keep in mind you need 32 bit codecs with 32 bit programs, and 64 bit codecs with 64 bit programs. 64 bit VirtualDub cannot access 32 bit Lame. Conversely, 32 bit VirtualDub cannot access 64 bit lame.

If you want to use 64 bit Virtualdub then you need 64 bit codecs and filters...

Input Plugins (go in Virtualdub - Plugins 64 folder)

MPEG-2 / DVD x64 (by fcchandler) http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/Plugins/MPEG2/
    WMV / ASF x64 (by fcchandler) http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/Plugins/WMV/
    AC3 x64 (by fcchandler) http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/Plugins/AC3/
    FLIC x64 (by fcchandler) http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/Plugins/FLIC/
    DirectShow x64 (by phaeron) http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=13064

Here are a few 64bit codecs and filters...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/squid_80/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    ffdshow is designed to be capable of running alongside Xvid, if you prefer - note that in the picture I'm attaching, I've set the decoder for Xvid to... well, 'Xvid.' ...I've never had a problem having both ffdshow and Xvid installed.
    I am talking about encoding. But I appreciate the suggestion.

Your version of ffdshow is a little out-of-date - the current version is r3356, I believe.
    I did a quick Google search on your suggestion and it seems to be the "super ultra new" side of things. What I prefer to use is the mainstream version: I got mine directly from their website so I assume it's current.

Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    In the 2 page thread you had going, I thought you had everything fixed. Nowhere in that thread did you mention that you were running Windows 7 64 bit.
    Sorry Darrell. I didn't know myself until just yesterday. As for the 64-bit detail, I though that would complicate things for you guys trying to help.

For those who are trying to follow me from the very beginning of my problems, it started with some codec conflicts. Here's the link: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319509-VDM-Won-t-Encode-to-MP3 .

There was a way to install 32bit codecs in Vista and XP 64 bit but my friend just installed Windows 7 ultimate 64 and we could not get the codecs to install via the syswow64 command.
    I simply use 32-bit codecs on my 64-bit system since there is more guides and help offered for those. I haven't had major problems in installing so far. Just problems with the usage in general, hence my threads. But I think that's unrelated with the 64-bit aspect of my system.

As for the ffdshow conflict concern, that's why I recommended turning off all codecs at installation, manually installing all the codecs you need (XviD, DivX, MP3, AC3 etc...) and turning on the VFW codecs that you need afterwards.
    I see. What are VFW codecs by the way?

It probably would've been better just to have replied back to tha other thread instead of starting a new one so that everyone could see what you've already tried and what all has already been suggested.
    Maybe so. But I thought my new issues weren't really accurate with the title, so I thought I would minimize confusion by doing this. My bad, I guess. I already posted a link above to my original thread about my codec problems, and will soon go to my original thread and post a link to here. I hope this clears up any confusion.

You might try this to get 32 bit codecs installed in Windows 7 64bit for Virtualdub 32bit with ffdshow 32bit...
    Already done that. Thanks for the detailed instructions though. Everything I run is 32-bit, except for my system, which is Windows 7 64-bit.

Right now I am testing using standalone XVID codec alongside ffdshow and Haali. I will update on the results. I do think it's a shame though that ffdshow that already has a built-in XVID codec seems to crash upon encoding.

Thanks for the help so far.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    ffdshow is designed to be capable of running alongside Xvid, if you prefer - note that in the picture I'm attaching, I've set the decoder for Xvid to... well, 'Xvid.' That tells it to use Xvid's dlls rather than ffdshow's for decoding Xvid.
    I'm pretty sure that's not the case. ffdshow contains many codec libraries internally. It happens to contain two that can decode the XVID fourcc -- libavcodec and xvid. When you configure ffdshow via that dialog what you are doing is specifying which (if any) of its internal libraries should be used. If you set it to Disabled, then ffdshow will tell the system it can't decode XVID, and the system will look for another codec that can. If the standalone Xvid codec is installed the system will find and use it.

Each codec also has a priority setting. If multiple decoders support a particular fourcc Windows will use the one with the highest priority. If they both have the same priority it will pick whichever it finds last (I think, maybe it's first).

But all of that is for playback/decoding.

For encoding you select which codec you want to use in VirtualDub. If you select ffdshow, you use ffdshow's configuration dialog (via the Configure button in VirtualDub) to select which of ffdshow's internal encoders is going to be used.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by adalect View Post
    What are VFW codecs by the way?
    Windows has two (mostly) separate video handling systems: DirectShow and Video for Windows. VFW is the older (and deprecated by MS) system but it is still supported. Programs that use VFW (including VirtualDub) can't access DS codecs and vice versa.

Then with 64 bit Windows you have both 64 and 32 bit subsystems: native 64 bit Windows, and 32 bit "Windows on Windows". 64 bit programs can only access 64 codecs, 32 bit programs can only access 32 bit codecs. Then to totally confuse things, 64 bit codecs reside in the %windir%\System32 folder, 32 bit codecs reside in %windir%\SysWow64 folder. Installation programs need to account for this.

Yes, it's a nightmare.

Since you are seeing the ffdshow codec in VirtualDub's encoder list you have the right ffdshow build (32 bit vs. 64 bit) for the VirtualDub you are using. VirtualDub, ffdshow, and Xvid are all available in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty sure that's not the case. ffdshow contains many codec libraries internally. It happens to contain two that can decode the XVID fourcc -- libavcodec and xvid. When you configure ffdshow via that dialog what you are doing is specifying which (if any) of its internal libraries should be used.
    I think what Ai Haibara says was true in older versions of ffdshow.
    I have a readme file for an old ffdshow from 2005 which says "It uses libavcodec from ffmpeg project for video decompression (it can use xvid.dll installed with xvid codec too)". But the latest one (no readme, unfortunately) has its own dll called xvidcore.dll (absent in the 2005 version) which I guess is what it now uses if you select xvid in the configuration.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Gavino View Post
    I think what Ai Haibara says was true in older versions of ffdshow.
    I have a readme file for an old ffdshow from 2005 which says "It uses libavcodec from ffmpeg project for video decompression (it can use xvid.dll installed with xvid codec too)". But the latest one (no readme, unfortunately) has its own dll called xvidcore.dll (absent in the 2005 version) which I guess is what it now uses if you select xvid in the configuration.
    Yes, It looks like xvidcore.dll in the ffdshow folder is ffdshow's Xvid encoder/decoder. If you delete the file ffdshow can no longer decode Xvid for VFW or DS programs and Xvid no longer shows up in any of ffdshow's codec config list.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo, Gavino: I couldn't tell you for sure - I haven't really had much call to use it, myself. Somebody should probably ask clsid or the other ffdshow devs about it.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK an update:

So I installed a standalone XVID codec to encode with an AVISynth script and it worked!

So Haali split my MKV file, ffdshow decoded the audio, AVISynth applied my frame rate adjustments so the file won't go out of sync. VDM encoded the file with the standalone XVID Codec and it didn't crash. The file came out perfectly.

What I am wondering is why the XVID codec doesn't crash VDM, but the ffdshow encoder does?

It is strange.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by adalect View Post
    What I am wondering is why the XVID codec doesn't crash VDM, but the ffdshow encoder does?
    Bugs.
    Quote Quote