VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am posting in this forum because it is the context in which I use MediaInfo.

Recently, new comments have been posted that MediaInfo reports incorrect framerates and bitrates, especially with MKVs containing H.264 video. First, are such comments true? Second, the comments imply that those making the comments have some a priori knowledge of what are the actual framerates and/or bitrates. Where would this knowledge come from? Is there a utility or method that provides the "true" information?

Maybe inconsequential, but with the many pitfalls of video conversion it would be nice not to start with inaccurate data.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MKVs are a container with the possibility of several different video and audio formats contained within. MediaInfo is one of the few programs that reads their attributes. I'm not aware of any inaccuracies, but they may be present.

If you encoded the MKV/H.264 yourself, you may have an idea of your settings, but that doesn't guarantee that you actually have those attributes after encoding. If some one has a more accurate way to measure attributes within a MKV, I'd like to know that also.
    Quote Quote  
  3. MediaInfo reports what the header says. The header isn't always accurate. Also, the frame rate and bitrate can change at any time with many codecs. So even if the header information accurate for some parts of the video it may not be for others.
    Quote Quote  
  4. this is what i have also noticed with latest release of mediainfo.
    while previous version worked very well, i guess.
    Quote Quote