VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay this is getting very frustrating. Some avi files just freeze up while playing on this machine while the same disk will play on my Toshiba. No wI am using crap imation DVD+R 16x media but I have burned as slow as 4x and still no change. Now sometimes I do burn the files from a NAS but that does not seem to be the problem. I am using Nero 7 Ultra and have even verified the information on the disk after burn. The specs for the latest movie that freezes up is:

Xvid
    1061 kbits
    608 x 336
    23.98fps

Should I be checking the media for errors before burning and if so what is a good program to do that with? Do I need to check the avi for errors and if so what is a good program for this? Does my DVD player need an upgrade, I see all kinds of firmware upgrades but from what i am reading they are mostly for region hacks and things like that.

If all else fails what is a good DIVX player to replace this one with. And what is a good Blu-ray DIVX player as well.

Thanks, in Advance, Jack
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Read this sticky:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/290800-My-DivX-DVD-Player-can-t-play-my-avi-DivX-xvid-video
    Some of those options could be to blame. You'll have to use something like GSpot to check for GMC, etc. in your videos.

You aren't doing yourself any favors with Imation discs, but at least you know they are crap. Firmware upgrades on your player tend to do minor things like fix subtitle issues and are highly unlikely to change any AVI playback issues you have.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Copy the file onto a USB thumb drive and see if it plays from there. That will eliminate disc problems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. These plays suffer from overheating, have you got enough air circulation round the machine.

Unplug it and leave for a few hours and then re plug in, it may help reset it.

I had adisc skip and play weird last night, I just reinserted the disc and it played fine.

I now would buy the Pioneer 420K, much better machine.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This happens when I am testing out the DVD and the player might b eon 10 minutes at that point. I found the DV-420V-K on Ebay for $95 shipped, that seems like a good price.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jwishy View Post
    This happens when I am testing out the DVD and the player might b eon 10 minutes at that point. I found the DV-420V-K on Ebay for $95 shipped, that seems like a good price.
    10 minutes should not be enough to overheat. But that does not necessarily mean that the player wasn't already damaged from overheating or that your new player won't overheat too, depending on where you have it. Today's DVD players do need a lot of free space to air cool.

And did you even bother to look at the link I provided? Because those issues may crop up with your new player too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry Jman I missed you reply and link. I will check the link now.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the same DVD player I purchased because of the 5 star reviews. I was getting frustrated as to why some videos would play and others wouldn't. Several different messages in this forum helped me so much in figuring out what the problem was. I decided to join and give back what I could.

There are quite a few things to check out, before you nail down what the problem is. The two problems I came up with are:
    1) Video size
    2) GMC was on for some videos and it is not supported on the player

To narrow it down, load the video file onto a USB flash drive and plug it in. If you are not having any problems with the video on the flash drive, then you know it's the Imitation... er... Imation discs.

Imation and Verbatim I stay way away from. Others are fine. I prefer either Sony or Phillips, but have used Memorex on this player and have not had a problem with them (and Memorex has never played on any other player/recorder I've had). Sometimes the "+" discs are crap, and end up as coasters, but I've never had that problem with them when recording the info from a computer, only when recording on a home dvd recorder.

If the video is still having problems, you might be having a GMC issue. The player should actually be telling you what the problem is. When you hit play for the video, it should come up with a message. "Video resolution not supported" was the message I received when the video was too large. "GMC not supported" tells you that the video was coded with GMC and it needs to be removed.
    I have not come across any other messages.

To solve the two problems (GMC and video size) I just "wash" the videos through a simple freeware converter: Any Video Converter
    You can get it through CNET, and I have been using it for some time, on both XP and Vista 32 bit. You can resize, if needed, and it will automatically delete the GMC.

When you load the video, in the upper right side of AVC is a profile drop down box. I set mine to "Customized AVI movie"
    Along the right side is the settings menu:

I leave the GENERAL and the OUTPUT DURATION areas set at the default

Under the video options I set to:
    Video Codec: xvid
    Video Size: Original (unless I need to make the video smaller, then I use the drop down box and change the size)
    Video Bitrate: 2000 (yeah, kinda high, but helps keep clearer)
    Video Framerate: (I set this to whatever the video's FPS is)

Audio Options:
    Audio Codec: mp3
    Audio Bitrate: 128
    Sample Rate: 44100
    Audio Channel: 2
    Disable Audio: No
    A/V Sync: Basic

This program is simple, nothing major fantastic, but it gets the job done.

Another program I use, if I'm feeling a little more particular about the video is Total Video Converter. It has more features such as widescreen, HD, etc. I've had it for awhile and love it too. A little less user friendly than AVC, but still easier than something like VirtualDub, etc. It is not a freeware program. The last time I checked it was around $20 to purchase.
    I set basically the same info: Xvid, resize if needed, most everything else set to "original" or "automatic". And it too seems to auto delete the GMC or any other issues.

Between these two programs, any problem I've had with not being able to play an AVI file on the Phillips is fixed after washing the video through either of these converters.

I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote