VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

Given: 13 avi files (13 different documentaries)

Task: Convert to DVD and burn onto 4.3GB discs

Tools: Winavi Standard v8.0 and ConverXtoDVD v3

Problem: I do not want to lower quality to make it fit on a disc. I want to keep quality as much as possible and convert these avi's into dvd by creating as much dvd folders as needed that each fit on a 4.3GB disc.
    Secondly, I want a dvd menu from which I can start each documentary. So if there are 3 avi's or documentaries on dvd 1, I want to see 3 thumbnails in the title menu and not 14 such as now with winavi that creates 14 chapters every 150sec

Can winavi or convertxtodvd do this?
    Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards. ~Aldous Huxley

We are becoming the servants in thought, as in action, of the machine we have created to serve us. ~John Kenneth Galbraith
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ConvertXtoDVD can do this. How many documenatires you can fit/dvd depends on the length/runtime. You should be able to get up to 2 hours with good quality.

I don't think winavi can make any menus.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Winavi can create menu. just click on the advanced button besides "output format" pulldown menu and in the screen that opens check enable dvd menu on.

But how do I then setup convertxtodvd so that it converts the 13 avi files I added into as much dvd folders as needed without compressing the video or without quality reduction? For exaple, if 3 avi/documentaries after conversion would fit on one dvd, the program should convert everything into 5 dvd folders (5 discs to burn), the first 4 containing 3 documentaries each and the 5th only one documentary.
    When I add 13 avi files I can only see a note "conversion result: low quality - reduce total time of project. 8.58GB on disc"
    Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards. ~Aldous Huxley

We are becoming the servants in thought, as in action, of the machine we have created to serve us. ~John Kenneth Galbraith
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't. You have to do each disc separately, one at a time. No software will do what you are asking automatically.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. winavi did split it up into several dvd folders but the dvd menu contains thumbnails for each chapter. And chapters are by default created every 150 sec in winavi. What I want is a menu thumbnail for each avi or episode.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Learn how to encode and author properly if you want things to be just how you want them, or live with what you get if you want to take the easy route.

Just the way it goes.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Aaah encoding, interesting No, thanks my head is already starting to crack right now. Can't have 'em all you know. I can fly a 737, speak 4 languages, scuba dive, play classic guitar, make my own website, play online games and host my own server, etc and now pick up encoding? LMFAO. I'm gonna do it the easy way then with the tools that I have.

Thanks anyway, I could always try and ask, you never know if there's some genius wandering around on this forum that knows an easy to use tool that can do what I asked Convert 13 avi episodes into dvd by splitting them up in as much dvd folders as needed without compression and then in the dvd menu make sure there is a chapter thumbnail for each episode/avi (about 2 or 3 can fit on a dvd I estimate, 4 or 5 if you compress them with quality loss which I do not want).

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't do it with out compression. Period. You have to re-encode them to DVD compliant mpeg-2, which means some quality loss.

In the time it has taken you to ask the question you could have set up 5 jobs in AVStoDVD's batch queue and run them all through. The quality would leave the PoS WinAVI for dead, and you could be watching the discs.

Still, I guess you were too busy being John Travolta.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    In the time it has taken you to ask the question you could have set up 5 jobs in AVStoDVD's batch queue and run them all through...

Now how do you mean that? Sounds pretty rude to me. Jealous maybe? Should I apologise then for my job and hobbies, quit working and spend 12 hours a day looking things up on internet and not asking questions in forums anymore? My post was in no way meant to be offending or whatever, I was just being a bit silly or funny. If you had mentioned that AVStoDVD program in your first reply instead of simply saying "you can't", I would most probably have thanked you for the tip and closed the subject. Secondly, you say "You have to do each disc separately, one at a time. No software will do what you are asking automatically" which is not true since winavi did split everything up into multiple dvd folders so that I can burn each dvd folder to a separate disc. Only the dvd menu with chapters is not to my liking. But hey, I can live with that, no problem. So sorry for wasting your precious time, Wyatt Earp gun-pang-pang-slinger. You know what, why don't you just simply delete this forum so that no one can ask questions anymore. After all, everything you need is out there somewhere on the internet so why the need for forums.

I'm going to continue being John Travolta now, as you said! At least, he got somewhere in life and people are just jealous and full of prejudices!

Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post

guns, I love you...

@ Delta007bhd
    no mean to offend you.
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You list off a pile of skills that are supposed to big note yourself and point out how you don't have time to learn anything new, then get offended by a little joke ? Lighten up.

I was serious about using AVStoDVD's batch mode though. It is the best solution to do what you want and give you the best quality. It should take no more than 15 minutes to set up the batch, and you can then walk away while it does it's thing.

I stand by my fisrt post - you can't do what you want, which is dump a pile of files into a tool and have it create a pile of separate DVDs that have any quality. If WinAVI offers this facility and produces quality, fine. But obviously it doesn't do what you wanted to the level you were after, and all I said was that nothing else would.

AVStoDVD is simply the second part of my first post - create each disc individually. The batch process allows you to automate the running of these processes, but you still have to set each on up on it's own.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Guess I misinterpreted your post then. If so, sorry for that. It sounded finger pointing and even insulting. Especially without emoticons, it didn't look like a joke to me. As if you wanted to say "instead of wasting your time posting here, you could have done 5 conversions with AVStoDVD in the same time but no, guess you were too busy showing off or being john travolta!". "How could I, if I didn't know the program until you mentioned it??" was my first thought. My post was in no way intended to big note myself or to show off, if it did look like that, I apologise. I shouldn't have mentioned all that perhaps. I just wanted to say that I have more valuable and sociable things to do than spend each day in front of a computer looking for answers to bugs, errors, incompatibilities, etc. This isn't the only forum I'm in you know. Why do you think I wrote that signature. It says everything. There's no such thing as user friendliness. You can't fart or you need a manual for it nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised if we needed a manual for using a toilet in 10 years time and download updates for the flushing system and spend time in forums for all the bugs and issues lol

Anyway, thanks for the tips about AVStoDVD, I'll stick with the tools I have now. I was hoping there would be a user friendly logical solution to the menu-chapter-per-episode problem but apparently not. No problem, I'll just keep hitting next button on my remote 50 times then until I reach the episode I want

Quote Quote