VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have a lot of movies that I made with my DV camcorder. These movies have the extension AVI and are coded with the DV codec.
    Now I'm looking for a mediaplayer in the category of a mediaplayer like WD TV Live to play these movies directly (without converting them).
    For some reason, I cannot find a media player that can play DV-AVI files.
    Does anyone know if such a player exists?
    Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows Media Player.

Just about any player -- if you have the DV codec.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, on a PC platform this is indeed no problem, installing the codec will solve the problem.
    However, I'm looking for a hardware solution like the WD TV Live; a small box which is already pre-installed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you will find such a capable device. I checked that the chipset used to decode the video in these multimedia boxes can supports a maximum of 8MBits/sec for the bitrate bandwith (DV-avi is about 25MBits/sec). So they are handy for divx-xvid, DVD Files, even some mkv and h264 codec...
    You want to share your videos or show them via these media player : play them directly with your camcorder or convert them into these popular video formats and just wait in case of a better chipset appears. Remember that DV avi files are space expensive (ok hard disk are bigger than before...)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Given DV-AVI is on the way out, and takes up so much space, I doubt you will see any mainstream player support it. Despite all the yelling and screaming about piracy, these players are designed to play popular downloadable formats like mkv and Divx/Xvid encoded AVI files. Most will also support mpeg1 and 2, some in a DVD structure, some not. H264 is the consumer video future for the next few years at least, and that is where the bulk of playback support will lie. To paraphrase the old newspaper maxim, "Convert or perish"
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote