VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm learning more and more each day but I'm still a little confused... Can someone recommend a light playback solution for Windows 7 HP 32 bit ? And NO codec packs.

From what i understood Windows 7 uses now a different playback solution -- the new Media Foundation and not DirectShow anymore.

My ideas using WMP 12 for MKV Playback, Subtitles, etc:

1. Haali Media Splitter but Haali Media Splitter is a DirectShow filter and not Windows Media Foundation filter.
    2. DirectVobSub (VSFilter)
    3. FFdshow tryouts ??? (not sure if nedeed)

OR :

1. DivX MKV - a Windows Media Foundation filter (so must be 100 % compatible with Windows 7)

If you use the Haali splitter than you must use a DirectShow H.264 decoder which isn't optimal on Windows 7. However, with the DivX MKV filter you will be able to use the Windows 7 built-in Media Foundation H.264 decoder which is faster and newer (DXVA v2.0, etc). Other possibility is to use the Haali Media Splitter together with the '' Preferred Filter Tweaker for Windows 7 '' aka Win7DSFilterTweaker but I don't want any Registry changes.

Any recommendations ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use MPC-HC with PowerDVD 8 for h.264 playback. I use PowerDVD codec (v2217) that is still a DirectShow filter and can be used in other players (it still gives me the lowest CPU % for DXVA). All other codec types I use ffdshow, and or the built in codecs in MPC-HC.
    Last edited by thymej; 8th Apr 2010 at 12:41.
    Quote Quote