VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to install Linux on my pc and then install a dedicated software. Two questions;

1. Keep in mind I am not a programmer so I would like to install or setup a linux that can just be installed without going through any hassle, like windows. I heard ubuntu is good for beginners but I do not know if it can support the software below.

I want to install AUTODESK FLAME For LINUX 64 platforms !

BEWARE:
    These applications do not run under the commercial distribution of Red Hat Enterprise Linux but only with Autodesk distribution of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4.
    One DVD, included with your release shipment. The Autodesk distribution installs the Linux
    software packages Autodesk applications require; these applications do not run under the
    commercial distribution of Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 4 . If you received a new system with
    this release, your shipment also included the CD set for the commercial distribution of Red
    Hat Enterprise Linux WS 4 . Do not use this commercial distribution; use the DVD
    distribution instead. You can use the commercial distribution to activate your Red Hat
    subscription if it is not already activated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    It sounds that you need to install the "Autodesk distribution of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 4".
    A linux distribution is like an operating system. Ubuntu is one distribution, Red Hat is another one.
    Your info says that this software does not even work with a normal Red Hat Enterprise Linux but you need the special "Autodesk distribution", whatever this is. Sounds like a commercial software package where the operating system is included on the installation disc.

So the answer is that it is unlikely to work on ubuntu. Install Linux from the supplied Autodesk disc.
    I guess you can ask autodesk support how to do it...
    Ronny
    Quote Quote  
  3. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    From the sound of the second part of the blurb you may even need particular hardware to get it to work... at least a minimum system and maybe a dongle. I get the impression from it that it's pretty high-end, tightly integrated stuff, such as you'd find in a pro studio where you have various computers each dedicated to running just one (or maybe 2-3 closely related) programs that look after a particular part of the production process - and if you want the no-brainer option, Autodesk can build it for you and ship it with the OS and software ready-to-go.
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote