VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I am trying to open an .mkv file in VirtualDub (1.8.6). I installed AVISynth, and created an .avs file with the following information:

DirectShowSource("c:\Video.mkv")

I did install the DShowInputDriver.vdplugin into the plugins directory of VirtualDub.

I opened the resulting file (Video.avs) in VirtualDub (using DirectShowInputDriver) and I get the following error:

Any suggestions as to what is going wrong?

Thanks, Jon
    Last edited by Jonnycat; 4th Apr 2010 at 11:23.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you play the mkv in windows media player without problems? If not install ffdshow and haali media splitter.

And try FFMpegSource2(""c:\Video.mkv") instead of directshowsource.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    Hi, I am trying to open an .mkv file in VirtualDub (1.8.6). I installed AVISynth, and created an .avs file with the following information:
    DirectShowSource("c:\Video.mkv")

I did install the DShowInputDriver.vdplugin into the plugins directory of VirtualDub.
    I opened the resulting file (Video.avs) in VirtualDub (using DirectShowInputDriver) and I get the following error:...
    If you're using an Avisynth script, you don't need (and shouldn't use) the DShowInputDriver, as it is Avisynth that will open the actual video file. Don't know if this would cause the problem you're seeing though ...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks guys, with your help I have made a little bit of progress. Gavino, you are right, I just needed to use a regular file open, but in order to be able to use that I had to first use the Haali media splitter (thanks Baldrick) to remove the audio from the .mkv file.

So after using Haali, I am able to open the video portion of the resulting .mkv file in Virtualdub. The audio, unfortunately, does not load in VirtualDub.

Looking at the original .mkv file in VLC (VirtualLAN media player), the audio is described as ".mp4a", 48kHz.

I'm guessing that if I can figure out how to open the .mp4a audio, the original .mkv file should work with both audio and video in VirtualDub.

What do I need to be able to open .mp4a files in Virtualdub?

Thanks again, Jon
    Quote Quote