VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am in the process of downloading my entire DVD library for my NAS so when I go back to Iraq, it's easier to take with me.

I just downloaded the Lord of the Rings Trilogy in and h264 ac3 mp4 file. I was expecting really HQ rips, cuz each one is over 3gb with stereo audio. The 3rd one is but the other 2 are obviously pixelated.

The weird part is that when I use GSpot to check the stats on the video, they ALL have a video bitrate of 2+kbps (which is higher than most of the mp4s I have downloaded - and they all look better).

Any ideas why it looks so bad or a way to fix it? I realize the fixing part is most likely wishful thinking.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LotR pixelated.jpg
Views:	2586
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	1170  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GSpot LotR.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	1171  

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you squish the video player smaller does the problem "dissapear"? Does it do the same thing on any other PCs? Sometimes things are best done by oneself.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks the same in Windows Media Player Classic, WMP12, and when streaming to my xbox. Of course, it becomes less noticeable when resized to about 1/4 of it's normal size. But even then, it's still visible, just less so.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by toadzky View Post
    I just downloaded the Lord of the Rings Trilogy in and h264 ac3 mp4 file.
    Buy it on DVD.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Already own it. Trying to get it on a hdd so I don't have to worry about sand and shit scratching my DVDs in Iraq. Did you bother reading the first post?

Search PM
    Already own it. Trying to get it on a hdd so I don't have to worry about sand and shit scratching my DVDs in Iraq. Did you bother reading the first post?
    Yes i did read the first post.
    I just downloaded the Lord of the Rings Trilogy in and h264 ac3 mp4 file. I was expecting really HQ rips, cuz each one is over 3gb with stereo audio. The 3rd one is but the other 2 are obviously pixelated.
    Any ideas why it looks so bad or a way to fix it?
    You downloaded the Lord of the Rings Trilogy?
    And I do know a simple fix for your problem.....just re-rip and re-convert your original DVDs of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
    Problem solved.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good to know that people answer the question asked in the forum. I could rip it and convert it myself. I've known how to do that for years. It is easier and faster when converting a whole collection to download it. And that wasn't the question I asked. I asked if there was a reason it would look bad despite a high bitrate (assuming the guy who made it knew what he was doing and didn't try to convert a lower bitrate video) or a way to make it look better. Thank you so much for being useless.

Search PM
    Good to know that people answer the question asked in the forum. I could rip it and convert it myself. I've known how to do that for years. It is easier and faster when converting a whole collection to download it. And that wasn't the question I asked. I asked if there was a reason it would look bad despite a high bitrate (assuming the guy who made it knew what he was doing and didn't try to convert a lower bitrate video) or a way to make it look better. Thank you so much for being useless.
    So you admit that it is easier to download illegal copies of movies that someone else converted than to rip and convert your own DVDs. Interesting.
    Here's a hint. When you are in a hole....stop digging.
    Bye Bye