VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a AG-1980 that is making a pretty loud squealing sound when it is rewinding tapes or ejecting them. Before I take a closer look inside the machine to pinpoint the problem. I was wondering if anyone had any further insight or prior experience with this issue on a AG-1980.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VCRs use rubber belts and rollers and have brake pads for the reels. Any of them could cause a squealing noise. They probably need cleaning, or worst case, belt or roller replacement. Probably best to do before it eats a tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    VCRs use rubber belts and rollers and have brake pads for the reels. Any of them could cause a squealing noise. They probably need cleaning, or worst case, belt or roller replacement. Probably best to do before it eats a tape.
    I think it might need a belt or roller replacement to be honest, I am going to clean them and hope that it fixes the issue.
    Do you know of a place I could maybe buy parts for this unit or or if buying a broken AG-1980 and using those parts is my only option... which I know is not ideal for replacing parts like pinch rollers and belts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tapes can do this too, not always the VCR.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It does it with any tape, I bought it like this from ebay for dirt cheap. The deck plays perfect, but I wanted to address the squeaking before it became an issue that would cause pyhsical damage to the tape or the deck. If cleaning does not work I will buy a service guide and try to track the belts and rollers down.
    Quote Quote