VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying for three days to network these computers. I've reinstalled the OS on both PCs and followed the instructions on every site I've found and nothing works.

We can see the shared drives and folders on the other user's PC but cannot access them. xxx not accessable. You may not have permission to use this network resource.

The other PC can access my printer but that is it. I was able to see his documents and setting for a while but I can't see those now.

We've networked these computers before when he had XP Home but can't network them now that he has XP Pro. My PC in the kitchen is XP Pro also and it can't access my main PC either.

The last time we networked his XP Home PC to mine, I thought all that I had to do was was share my folders and he could see them without having to do anything but this is becoming a nightmare and seemingly impossible to do.

Workgroups have the same name, firewalls are turned off and full permissions are set for everyone.

Would it be easier to do the domain route instead of workgroup and if so, how do I do it?

OK, weird. The PC in the kitchen can open everything that's shared on my brother's PC but nothing on my main PC. I haven't set up file sharing on the kitchen PC
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like the folders are being shared, but the permissions aren't working. I assume your share setup is like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	permissions.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1118

I had to type 'Everyone' into the window before it worked. It shouldn't make much difference what homegroup the files are on.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know where my last message went. It disappeared. Why not? Everything else is going to crap.

I restored my last image so I could start fresh and now I can access everything on my brother's PC and the PC in the kitchen can access everything on my brothers PC but nobody can access my PC which is the main PC. No matter what I try, I cannot allow access to my computer which is the only thing that I want to do. I could care less what is on the other PC's but I need to have access to my computer from the other two PCs.

Like I said, I've had mine and my brother's PCs networked before but for some reason, I can't get XP Pro computers networked to mine. Not sure why the other two XP Pro PC's can access each other. I don't have anything shared on the kitchen PC so it asks for a password. I wouldn't care if it asked for a password to access min but it doesn't. At least I could access it but as it is now, I can't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    antivirus software like norton can block network connections.

remember you have to re-boot after every change to see if it does anything. network discovery can take time to happen. have you tried searching for the other computer? hitting f5 to refresh connections sometimes helps. i think i used to install the netbios service on the nic with xp computers to help workgroup networking.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    antivirus software like norton can block network connections.

remember you have to re-boot after every change to see if it does anything. network discovery can take time to happen. have you tried searching for the other computer? hitting f5 to refresh connections sometimes helps. i think i used to install the netbios service on the nic with xp computers to help workgroup networking.
    I'm using Avast but turning it off did nothing (I know I had it on when I had these computers networked before). I've been rebooting for three days but none of the changes have helped. I was going to try and set passwords yesterday but when I tried to search for users, it could not find any because none of those users are on my machine. It won't search the network.

It was easy to network when I had W2K. XP sucks. Maybe I can get my friend from Intel to come out this weekend and figure it out. He networks his brothers XP PCs and printer everytime he reinstalls windows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    With troubleshooting, it's best to start from the beginning with what you know works.

Verify that each leg of your network is physically connected to all other legs.

PING each computer's IP address (go down the list) at each computer. If you have 4 computers, you'll do it 12 times (16 if you ping yourself).

Verify that all are using the same subnet, DNS server, etc.

Figure out which machine is the browse master - there could be something funky with it. Or could be a browse master volunteering conflict between machines.

It's best with Workgroups/P2P to have each user's login account already added (with username and password identical for every computer), otherwise one "server" would only accept non-authenticated access if they've enabled "Guest" accounts, which most PC's default to being disabled.

Hope those help,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found this website that looked promising since it pertains to networking XP Professional...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm

...but after following everything step for step and adding all the users, I couldn't open his folders and he couldn't open mine. He could print from my printer though.

I can ping all the PCs from all the PCs. I can see the drives and folders on all the PCs that are shared. I just can't open any up. I just reinstalled my C:\ image again to get everything back to normal and think I'll wait til my friend comes out to mess with it any more. It's a lost cause. I'm at the point that I don't think he'll be able to do it either because I don't believe that it can be done with three XP Pro computers (I only care about the two). He's been doing it with with one XP Pro and one XP Home which is how we had it before and we had no problem networking it then.

I'm using an Airlink router with two ethernet and one wireless connection (the kitchen PC). All the computers get internet from the same router and at least two of us can share the printer. My brother has to access my computer to use the printer since it's hooked up to mine. For some reason, Windows will not let us share drives and folders. What is the use giving everyone permission to use your PC if nobody can?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    General setup here might be what you need.

1: Assign 3 static ip address's in the router, save, and reboot it.
    2: On each system assign one of these static ip address's and reboot each system

Note: Make sure they all use unique "administrator" names

Ie: "admin" on pc 1 cannot gain access to pc 2 shares if "admin" is already logged onto that system

3: For folders requiring "share" permission

A: For fat32 engage simple sharing ... nothing else required
    B: For Ntfs engage as for fat32 and include "permissions" ... user names and passwords

4: Finally map drives for sharing and assign them drive letters

5: Reboot systems

-----

As for that website link ... 2, 3, and 4 don't exist in this network

Multiple user accounts on each system do apply in this network where each system has a unique logon "administrators" name
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This looks a little like something I saw a few days ago. Google "RestrictAnonymous". Beware this is a value set in registry. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried the registry hacks but the value was already set to 0. I've googled for days and tried everything but nothing works. I was able to open his folders before (which I don't really care about) but he can't open anything on my computer.

All the computers have different addresses in the router (101, 102, 103) and they can all ping each other.

When I networked these computers before when he had XP Home, all I had to do was share my drives and folders. I did not have to do anything to his computer and I didn't have to do any of this stuff that everyone on the internet suggests to do. He could see everything that I shared and could access it because he was part of the user group. Not sure why this has to be so difficult.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 1st Apr 2010 at 12:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you use simple sharing (Folder Options, View, Use simple file sharing) then on the folder you want to share, right click, select Sharing and Security, Sharing, Share this folder on the network, Allow network users to change my files (if desired)

If you are NOT using simple sharing, then on the folder you want to share, right click, select Sharing and Security, Sharing, Share this folder, set permissions. On the Security TAB, Add Group or User Name, Add "Everyone" set Permissions.

Should work now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SOLVED: It was a registry problem but not the one listed above. It seems that Acronis True Image is the culprit that removed a DWORD entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters

Had to create this DWORD value...

IRPStackSize and make the value above 15 (I chose 20) and now the other computers can access my PC.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    SOLVED: It was a registry problem but not the one listed above. It seems that Acronis True Image is the culprit that removed a DWORD entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters

Had to create this DWORD value...

IRPStackSize and make the value above 15 (I chose 20) and now the other computers can access my PC.
    Thank you; this thread reminded me why I abandoned Windows....
    Quote Quote