VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a hauppauge hvr-1800. i understand that this card has its own built in chip to encode/decode. so the output file will be mpeg2. i want to take the captured footage from the the vcr and color correct it(its converted super8 footage- really bad quality, going to do my best with it). my question is... is the hauppauge going to limit my ability to get good quality out of the corrected video once i edit and render it? is there a different way to grab the raw signal from the vcr and use that somehow... maybe a different card? thanks for the help. im still new at this.

mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know the card, but it may allow you to capture using other codecs, just without the support of the on-board encoder. If not, push the bitrate up as high as you can. 12mbps is probably about what you would want for SD material.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks. im going to have to research that. the capture software that comes with the card is not my favorite.

mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The hauppauge hvr-1800 has an internal MPeg2 hardware encoder for capturing from SD (composite or S-Video). I don't know a way to bypass encoding. Vegas won't see the card. You need to capture with Hauppauge Win7 software or third party PVR software.

MPeg2 files can be imported to Vegas but this compressed file isn't optimal for restoration.

Alternative is to capture uncompressed using a classic tuner card. More important for restoration is time base correction before capture A/D.
    Last edited by edDV; 26th Mar 2010 at 01:12.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PVR cards are generally only good for capturing TV, it's a new breed of card that ignores lossless/uncompressed capturing, and often doesn't allow for much in the way of composite/s-video.

The ATI 600 USB is one exception -- great card. Cheap, too, at just $60 USD. PAL and NTSC capturing, too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the suggestion. i looked at the ati and noticed that it looks like it only has a composite input. i am using an s-video out of my jvc 9900u to my hauppauge s- video input. is there a better card that i can capture in dv lossless that has an s-video input and that is an internal card, that will not break my bank? also i have been noticing that the tbc on my jvc works well on someparts of the tape, but on other parts i get a lot of horizontal lines. i thought that was a time base error. but when i turn the tbc off the colors look terrible but the video clears up. can you help lordsmurf? im new here but even i can see you are the jedi master here.

mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The last Super 8 to VHS that I was asked to transfer was bad enough that I re-projected and captured it with the old Hitachi DVD-CAM.

I couldn't afford one of the nicer three CCD camera interface models, but the result was better than the old version.

I use Hauppauge cards for VHS capture to MPG2 without problems from a panny AG-1980.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote