VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have a 1080p .mkv movie, but no English subtitles so I went online and found, what appears to be, some dvdrip subs. I tried using subtitle workshop to sync the subs with the movie but it wouldn't work. I was only able to sync some sections of the movie, then seek further on and find that it would go out of sync again. Does anybody know why this is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try sync with something else. Maybe subtitle edit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick,

Same problems actually. I would sync one part of the movie up using the add delay feature then later on it would go out of sync again. Quite possibly cause the subs were taken from a different encode, thus giving out different timings?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could be the frame rate. Some are 25 others are 23.976. Could be that. Also a number of the srt download sites mention what they apply to. DVD, avi, or BD rip. Find the subtitle that resembles what you have.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Indeed. That's what I was afraid of, difference encoded movie subs won't sync up properly with other releases.

Rather then go through the hassle of trying to mux the subs I just found a 720p encode, ripped the subs from that and used it for the 1080p version I have.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just had this happen with a dvd of Thoroughbreds 2017, a *.mkv video that had Hindi and English audio available. The *.srt subtitles would play in my Samsung BD D5100 bluray player, but not in my LG BPM35 bluray player. Usually the video will play in both, though the BPM35 LG player will also normally play embossed subtitles as well, which the
    BD D-5100 will not. This has never happened before. There's a minor clue. The tort I downloaded came WITH a *.srt subtitle included. However, I could not find any other English subtitles when I googled for them. Normally, my LG BPM35 is MORE versatile than the 2012 or older BD D5100 player. In this case, it was more than just the opposite. There is no way to get *.srt subtitles, or, really, any kind to play in the LG player. This has never happened to me before and I'm wondering if others have had similar problems with other DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, regarding the other queries and replies on this thread, I have something to contribute: You're best to find subtitles that absolutely duplicate the same movie file you've downloaded. That means finding a subtitle with the exact complete whole file name as the original video file. Sometimes, the folks who create subtiles and uplink them to online subtitle websites, will show you that a subtitle will work with either 720 OR 1080 films. Subscene and Open Subtitles will often tell you this if it is true. However, if no sub provider tells you that, you can assume that a 720 subtitle set will NOT WORK on a 1080 film, nor will a 1080 sub work on a 720 film. There's more: The reason the film file's original file name is so important, is that movies are distributed and sometimes re-edited for distribution in other parts of the world. The titling of the film in one market can be different than in another. Thus the timing on the subs can change for that reason ALONE! IN A PINCH I'LL THROW ANY OLD 1080 *.SRT SUBTITLES FILE ONTO A DIFFERENT 1080 FILM AND FIND THAT IT WORKS BECAUSE A 1080 OFTEN WORKS ON ANY 1080 FILM. SAME IS TRUE REGARDING ANY 720 SUBS WORKING ON ANY OTHER 720 VERSION OF THE FILM FILE. This doesn't always necessarily work but it has always worked FOR ME! i'D APPRECIATE HEARING MORE ON THIS AND SIMILAR FORUMS ABOUT WHICH DVD PLAYERS YOU FOLKS HAVE DETERMINED, WILL PLAY OUTSIDE *.SRT FILES FROM A DVD. i ONLY KNOW OF THE TWO MENTIONED IN MY POST ABOVE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just had this happen with a dvd of Thoroughbreds 2017, a *.mkv video that had Hindi and English audio available. The *.srt subtitles would play in my Samsung BD D5100 bluray player, but not in my LG BPM35 bluray player. Usually the video will play in both, though the BPM35 LG player will also normally play embossed subtitles as well, which the
    BD D-5100 will not. This has never happened before. There's a minor clue. The tort I downloaded came WITH a *.srt subtitle included. However, I could not find any other English subtitles when I googled for them. Normally, my LG BPM35 is MORE versatile than the 2012 or older BD D5100 player. In this case, it was more than just the opposite. There is no way to get *.srt subtitles, or, really, any kind to play in the LG player. This has never happened to me before and I'm wondering if others have had similar problems with other DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
  9. For me, an SRT file is a plain text file and works for 720p videos just like for 1080p.
    Quote Quote