VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here's a new tool being offered by jdobbs:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1385481&postcount=7416

You place it (inspect.exe) in your BDRB folder and run it. It generates a list of your current settings/tools (ffdshow, etc.) and whether or not they're okay. Very useful.

[EDIT] Damn, the link isn't working correctly. It's in the post linked above. Trying again:

http://www.jdobbs.net/freeware/inspect.exe
    Last edited by fritzi93; 24th Mar 2010 at 08:27.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's been added to "More information and other downloads" on the BDRebuilder page in the Tools section. That was quick, I only submitted it this morning.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've been following the BDRB bug report thread with interest for some time, and this is what I've been able to gather about BDRB configuration. Here's my mini-guide:

BD_Rebuilder Installation and Configuration

BD_Rebuilder requires ffdshow, Haali Media Splitter and AviSynth to work.
    Do yourself a favor, use the versions tested by jdobbs (author of BD_Rebuilder).
    Is it really so important to use those exact versions? YES.
    In the vast majority of cases, people experiencing problems are using untested versions.

The author of BD_Rebuilder recommends version 3133 of ffdshow and has this to say on newer versions of ffdshow:

"About half the versions released since then have issues of one sort or another that make them stop working with BD-RB. I don't know why -- I just know that going back to that version fixes it. I tell people to stick with one that works or else its just a crapshoot.
    I'm testing 3326 now, and when I feel comfortable there are no issues I'll recommend it."

There are a number of reports of later versions of Haali causing problems as well. So use the approved versions. From my own testing, it does not appear that AviSynth version 2.58 is a problem (version 2.57 is the minimum), but there's no reason not to use the approved version.

The tested versions of ffdshow, Haali, and Avisynth are available here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

You need to remember that BD_Rebuilder is beta software. It has not progressed to the point that it is tolerant of untested versions of ancillary software.
    This does not mean that later versions of such software are faulty, just that they are likely to cause problems with BD_Rebuilder.

Configuration

Once you have installed ffdshow, Haali and Avisynth, and have a BD_Rebuilder folder on your hard drive:
    Download the configuration inspection tool, here:

http://www.jdobbs.net/freeware/inspect.exe

Put inspect.exe in the BD_Rebuilder folder and run it.

If your operating system is XP, you should see something very like this:

- Windows Version: 5.1 [2600]
    - AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.7.0, Ok
    - HAALI Splitter: Ok
    - FFDSHOW: 3133, Ok
    - FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
    - FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libavcodec": Ok
    - FFDSHOW AVC set to "ffmpeg-mt": Ok
    - BD Rebuilder v0.32.0.8, Ok
    - X264: Ok
    - AFTEN: Ok
    - WAVI: Ok
    - TSMUXER: Ok

If your operating system is Win 7, you should see something like this:

- Windows Version: 6.1 [7600]
    - AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.7.0, Ok
    - HAALI Splitter: Ok
    - FFDSHOW: 3133, Ok
    - WIN7 preferred AVC CODEC: Ok
    - WIN7 preferred VC-1 CODEC: Ok
    - WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Ok
    - FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
    - FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libavcodec": Ok
    - FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok
    - BD Rebuilder v0.32.0.8, Ok
    - X264: Ok
    - AFTEN: Ok
    - FAAC: Ok
    - MP4BOX: Ok
    - WAVI: Ok
    - TSMUXER: Ok

If everything checks out, you should be good to go. If there is a problem with a codec and your versions are correct, you may need to change your ffdshow configuration. Go to Start -> ffdshow -> ffdshow video decoder configuration.
    To change a decoder, click on the decoder (not Format) and a drop-down list will appear. Choose the correct decoder, hit Apply and exit.

Possible Problems:

For some people on XP and Vista, encoding VC-1 using ffdshow set to WMV9 doesn't work, with no good explanation as to why.
    The best alternative in this case is to download WMP11 from Microsoft. It contains the MS VC-1 decoder. You must disable VC-1 in ffdshow to use the MS VC-1 decoder.
    Get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...1/default.aspx

If your operating system is Win 7, don't even try to install WMP11. Win 7 comes with WMP12, which completely reconfigures how DirectShow works.

Say you still have problems:

Have you ever been so unwise as to install a codec pack? No? I'm not sure I believe you.
    If your settings are correct and you're still having problems, particularly with VC-1, it likely means another codec is over-riding the setting.

The author of BD_Rebuilder says:

"Usually it means you have some other "CODEC Pack" that is overriding it. When you start BD-RB does it try to reconfigure it? It will do it every time you load BD-RB unless you told it to suppress the message. If you did decide to suppress it, then remove the "SUPPRESS_FF_WARNING" line from your INI and restart BD-RB. When it says it needs to configure your FFDSHOW - let it do it. You'll have to "Run as Administrator" for the changes to be made."

In severe cases, the best thing you can do is a format and re-install of your operating system. Sorry.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 25th Mar 2010 at 17:05.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote