VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Search Comp PM
    I have a LG DVD recorder RH1999H with a 250GB hard drive. A few years ago, the DVD writer broke, it was replaced but I lost all the movies on the HD.

    The same thing is happening now- we can record to the hard drive, but cannot copy/write to a DVD.The recorder needs to be repaired, but I am worried that I might lose all the movies on the HD again.

    Is there any way of saving/copy the movies on the HD?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member AlanHK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Most likely it's standard procedure to re-image the hard disk when they repair it.

    If you can personally talk to the people who do the repair, you might be able to stop them from doing that.
    Otherwise you might take out the hard disk before you sent the machine in for repair, and replace it when you get it back with the new burner. But that might void your warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your comments. Will phone them beforehand and see what I can do.

    Just thought that there might be a way to download on an ext HD, but there is no USB connection in any case on that machine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    If you know what you are doing you could open the recorder, remove the hard drive, and attach it to your PC and presumably copy the movies off it. But I've never heard of a DVD recorder that lets you copy stuff off the hard drive via some connection on the recorder itself like USB.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Search Comp PM
    I used to have RH1777H (80GB). Within the first year of having it, the disc drive (i think they call it Loader) was already giving problems. The Tech Guy who helps usually just replaces the drive as it is the one with the problem. No installing of any software and everything in the HD is still there.

    Not sure about saving/copy the shows though. It did tried once to detach it out from the set, plug in as a Secondary HD on a PC but it didn't detect as how you think it would.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member AlanHK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ekamatra View Post
    Not sure about saving/copy the shows though. It did tried once to detach it out from the set, plug in as a Secondary HD on a PC but it didn't detect as how you think it would.
    I believe that most of these HD recorders run a form of Linux. So they use a different disk format than Windows. If you ran, say, Ubuntu Linux (which you can do from a bootable CD) you might have better luck.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a service manual:
    http://www.jordansmanuals.com/Default.aspx?Brand=LG&Product=DVD-VCR&Model=RH1999H

    FYI, I was able to hook up a standard PC DVD burner to an LG DVD recorder. The only potential hitch is that some interfaces use a narrow flex cable version of IDE rather than the 40-pin PC ribbon cable. In such cases you can use a small adapter PCB to convert the connector types.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    I believe that most of these HD recorders run a form of Linux. So they use a different disk format than Windows. If you ran, say, Ubuntu Linux (which you can do from a bootable CD) you might have better luck.
    I didn't know that and i think not many sites inform you abt that. Thanks.

    Originally Posted by fzabkar View Post
    Here is a service manual:
    http://www.jordansmanuals.com/Default.aspx?Brand=LG&Product=DVD-VCR&Model=RH1999H

    FYI, I was able to hook up a standard PC DVD burner to an LG DVD recorder. The only potential hitch is that some interfaces use a narrow flex cable version of IDE rather than the 40-pin PC ribbon cable. In such cases you can use a small adapter PCB to convert the connector types.
    Whoa... good info. I tried opening it once, not changing anything, when i fix it back it just won't boot/start up.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads