VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a LG DVD recorder RH1999H with a 250GB hard drive. A few years ago, the DVD writer broke, it was replaced but I lost all the movies on the HD.

The same thing is happening now- we can record to the hard drive, but cannot copy/write to a DVD.The recorder needs to be repaired, but I am worried that I might lose all the movies on the HD again.

Is there any way of saving/copy the movies on the HD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most likely it's standard procedure to re-image the hard disk when they repair it.

If you can personally talk to the people who do the repair, you might be able to stop them from doing that.
    Otherwise you might take out the hard disk before you sent the machine in for repair, and replace it when you get it back with the new burner. But that might void your warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your comments. Will phone them beforehand and see what I can do.

Just thought that there might be a way to download on an ext HD, but there is no USB connection in any case on that machine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you know what you are doing you could open the recorder, remove the hard drive, and attach it to your PC and presumably copy the movies off it. But I've never heard of a DVD recorder that lets you copy stuff off the hard drive via some connection on the recorder itself like USB.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to have RH1777H (80GB). Within the first year of having it, the disc drive (i think they call it Loader) was already giving problems. The Tech Guy who helps usually just replaces the drive as it is the one with the problem. No installing of any software and everything in the HD is still there.

Not sure about saving/copy the shows though. It did tried once to detach it out from the set, plug in as a Secondary HD on a PC but it didn't detect as how you think it would.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ekamatra View Post
    Not sure about saving/copy the shows though. It did tried once to detach it out from the set, plug in as a Secondary HD on a PC but it didn't detect as how you think it would.
    I believe that most of these HD recorders run a form of Linux. So they use a different disk format than Windows. If you ran, say, Ubuntu Linux (which you can do from a bootable CD) you might have better luck.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a service manual:
    http://www.jordansmanuals.com/Default.aspx?Brand=LG&Product=DVD-VCR&Model=RH1999H

FYI, I was able to hook up a standard PC DVD burner to an LG DVD recorder. The only potential hitch is that some interfaces use a narrow flex cable version of IDE rather than the 40-pin PC ribbon cable. In such cases you can use a small adapter PCB to convert the connector types.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    I believe that most of these HD recorders run a form of Linux. So they use a different disk format than Windows. If you ran, say, Ubuntu Linux (which you can do from a bootable CD) you might have better luck.
    I didn't know that and i think not many sites inform you abt that. Thanks.

Originally Posted by fzabkar View Post
    Here is a service manual:
    http://www.jordansmanuals.com/Default.aspx?Brand=LG&Product=DVD-VCR&Model=RH1999H

FYI, I was able to hook up a standard PC DVD burner to an LG DVD recorder. The only potential hitch is that some interfaces use a narrow flex cable version of IDE rather than the 40-pin PC ribbon cable. In such cases you can use a small adapter PCB to convert the connector types.
    Whoa... good info. I tried opening it once, not changing anything, when i fix it back it just won't boot/start up.
    Quote Quote