VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When I download .mp4 YouTube videos with FireFox's DownloadHelper add-on, they always have no specific file type. It just simply says "File type: File". No extension or anything... Though despite all that, if I open it with MPEG Streamclip, it's fine. So it's like the .mp4 file is true but is being disguised as an unknown format or something.

Can anyone clear up why it's being read as a "file" for its file type?
    Last edited by Nintendo Fan; 23rd Mar 2010 at 16:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whenever I donwload a file using download helper from Firefox it gives me the extension, be it .flv or .mp4.

That said, there is nothing at all stopping you adding the extension yourself when you save the file

When you go to download, look at the file name. It has the extension on the end (e.g. video1.mp4). if you just type fred over the top, you remove the extension. So make sure you either type fred.mp4, or don't over-write the entire filename when you change it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Whenever I donwload a file using download helper from Firefox it gives me the extension, be it .flv or .mp4.

That said, there is nothing at all stopping you adding the extension yourself when you save the file

When you go to download, look at the file name. It has the extension on the end (e.g. video1.mp4). if you just type fred over the top, you remove the extension. So make sure you either type fred.mp4, or don't over-write the entire filename when you change it.
    Ah! Ok, thanks. Yeah before I saved it, I renamed it while the entire field was highlighted, so the file extension must've been removed and I didn't mean it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Nintendo Fan; 23rd Mar 2010 at 16:53.
    Quote Quote