VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Gday,

I am looking at a Adaptec 39320D SCSI card and would like to know if it is possible to connect 2 identical SCSI RAID enclosures to the external connectors (1 on each) and have the data mirrored in each enclosure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I dont know if this helps but kinda explains what I want - I would also want it to show up like a regular raid array (as a single harddrive)Click image for larger version

Name:	SCSI.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	988
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to since every drive that is connected would have a SCSI ID that you could specific which drives are in which array. It's been a while since I've done an array setup for that HBA though.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess that would have to be configured in Adaptec Storage Manager?. Both enclosures would be RAID 1 and have 2 drives in each and should all show up as a single drive on the pc (F.. The whole idea behinf this was so that there was a backup (hence RAID1) and did not have to remember to do it then a 2nd backup in the shed incase of fire or theft. Back to reading the manual for Adaptec Storage Manager for the 2nd time
    Quote Quote  
  5. It might work, if you are implying you are using two sets of disks in a mirrored array. However the likely problem is going to be length of cables. I suspect they will be limited to a few feet at best. Best off just doing a daily backup o/night to your shed storage,(as well as raid1) that way you lose 1 days work at most, of course you should also rotate your backups off-site with a GFS cycle.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was just thinking about the cable length issue and didnt know if it was then possible to use a 2nd pc in the shed networked to the main pc with it's RAID1 enclosure connected to that and still work by network?... Of course I could just go the easy route and install a removable HDD caddy for the 2nd HDD in the RAID array and put that into a fire safe for o/night - but where would the fun / challenge be in that and would still lose the info if fire occured during work.
    Quote Quote