VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently rented a Canon XH-A1 and realized I did not capture all the footage that I needed from my tapes. The camera is now unavailable and I am under deadline to provide that footage to my client. Is it possible to capture the missing footage off a cheaper camera, (say a Canon Vizio) that I can go out and buy, or will the quality change. The Vizio boasts 1920x1080, but obviously is not 1/3" chip 60i like the XH-A1. Not sure if capturing from the Vizio would downgrade the footage I've already captured from the XH-A1. Can anyone tell me if this is possible asap????
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Canon XH-A1 can record in High Definition (HDV format) or Standard Definition (DV format). Both formats are recorded on MiniDV tapes. If your shot are in HD you need a HDV camcorder (consumer HDV camcorders: Canon HV20, 30, 40 or Sony HC1, 3, 5, 7, 9). If your recordings are in SD any MiniDV camcorder will play the tapes. No quality is lost when you play the tapes with cheaper camcorders because the content is stored on tape in digital form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by danno78 View Post
    Canon XH-A1 can record in High Definition (HDV format) or Standard Definition (DV format). Both formats are recorded on MiniDV tapes. If your shot are in HD you need a HDV camcorder (consumer HDV camcorders: Canon HV20, 30, 40 or Sony HC1, 3, 5, 7, 9). If your recordings are in SD any MiniDV camcorder will play the tapes. No quality is lost when you play the tapes with cheaper camcorders because the content is stored on tape in digital form.

My footage from the XH-A1 is HDV 1080i/60i. So are you saying that ANY HDV camera regardless of sensor size will support playback of my footage for capturing purposes and match what I already have captured from the XH-A1?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.
    Quote Quote