VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I use an Aiptek A-HD+ 1080p camcorder. Was cheap, got it for $150 off Amazon. Now they're selling them for $107 there.

Anyway, I recently noticed its max time it can record without my 4GB SDHC card is 00hr:01m:35s, and with the SD card it can record up to 00hr:09m:05s.

It used to be able to record over a few hours, even without the SD card. Now it can't even reach ten minutes with one.

I've had this camcorder since like August 2008, so maybe it's just slowly losing its power over time? Because it does have a lithium ion battery, and those things are meant to slowly diminish over time so you're forced to by a new one (right...?).

So is this the sign that I should get a new camcorder? Should I just get a new battery? What?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All rechargeable batteries diminish over time. I'd price a new battery.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try recording while it's plugged in the recharger. Can you get longer recordings?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Try recording while it's plugged in the recharger. Can you get longer recordings?
    I tried that, and no. Doesn't change anything.

Redwudz, you're probably right. I just want to get a few more opinions first.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you recording with the same settings as before? For example, if you were recording standard definition before and high definition now you would get less recording time now.

And yes, LI batteries lose their holding capacity over time. Even if they're not used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery#Shelf_life
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Are you recording with the same settings as before? For example, if you were recording standard definition before and high definition now you would get less recording time now.

And yes, LI batteries lose their holding capacity over time. Even if they're not used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery#Shelf_life
    No I have not changed my camcorder's settings around at all.

It more than likely is the battery just dying. I can just get a new one for $30 if that's the case. I'll have to ask for one for my birthday.
    Quote Quote