VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey All,

Wanted to let you know that we released our latest version of DivX Plus Software (we're not calling it DivX 8), which includes pretty big updates to DivX Plus Player, DivX Plus Converter, and the DivX Plus Codec pack.

Most notable are that DivX Plus Converter has a dramatically different interface that lets you make MKV files free (even after the trial), and the DivX Plus Player lets you transfer videos to discs or removable media for free so you can play your DivX or DivX Plus files on DivX Certified devices.

We've summed up some of the more technical features on a post at DivX Labs:
    http://labs.divx.com/divx-plus

But if you have any questions, let me know!
    You'll find me at:
    DivX Labs and the DivX Developer Portal
    Follow us on Twitter: @DivXLabs
    Quote Quote  
  2. So far as I know,the latest version of Divx is 7,it is not very useful for me,I can use ffdshow or other codecs,such as divx 3.11 and divx 5,most important thing is Divx is not free,I can not afford it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cairuitao123 View Post
    So far as I know,the latest version of Divx is 7,it is not very useful for me,I can use ffdshow or other codecs,such as divx 3.11 and divx 5,most important thing is Divx is not free,I can not afford it.
    Hi Cairuitao,

The latest version of DivX is DivX Plus Software (which is version 8), and it was just released last week. DivX Plus Player includes DivX to Go, which transcodes and copies/burns videos to USB/disc for playback on DivX certified devices, and it's FREE. DivX Plus Converter has a 15-day trial, but even after the 15-day trial, it will continue to make DivX Plus HD (MKV/H.264/AAC) videos for free. So, the only part you pay for is if you want the pro settings and want to use DivX Plus Converter to make .divx files... Creation of .mkv files and H.264 is FREE.

The DivX Plus Codec Pack includes our free H.264 decoder, which again, is FREE and now has an option for DXVA hardware acceleration. We also include the original DivX Plus tech preview splitter and components that allow MKV playback on Windows 7 via Media Foundation, meaning you can get DXVA for MKV files on Windows Media Center... oh yea, for FREE!

It's fine if you don't require the latest codecs for the things that you do, but I just wanted to clarify what the latest version is, and how much of it is truly free.
    You'll find me at:
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Installing DivX Plus takes over all my file types. I unistalled it and used a registry hack to keep programs from taking over file types but after reinstalling DivX Plus, it took over some of my file types anyway. I don't want DivX player to be my default player.

I don't know why software makers think they have to have complete control of your PERSONAL computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All software is like that.
    Hold SHIFT, right click on a file, go to OPEN WITH..., and then change the default program.

This is often avoided by doing a "custom" install and telling it to not change file associations.
    The typical normal/regular installs almost always change associations. WinZip, WinRAR, VLC, etc.

I don't think it's fair to pick on Divx.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We actually have opened an issue on this to make it easier to confirm/change file associations on install or first run, but you can currently do this through the preferences in the DivX Plus Player:
    You'll find me at:
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    All software is like that.
    Hold SHIFT, right click on a file, go to OPEN WITH..., and then change the default program.

This is often avoided by doing a "custom" install and telling it to not change file associations.
    The typical normal/regular installs almost always change associations. WinZip, WinRAR, VLC, etc.

I don't think it's fair to pick on Divx.
    You're crazy. Most software that tries to hijack your file type at least gives you and option to set file types to open but certain programs like DivX Plus do not give the option. Nero gives you the option but ignores your selection and takes over everything anyway. Hardly any software that I've installed wants to hijack my file types. I don't want to have to go back and change everything that painstakingly set up the way I wanted it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by porfitron View Post
    We actually have opened an issue on this to make it easier to confirm/change file associations on install or first run, but you can currently do this through the preferences in the DivX Plus Player:
    That's all fine and dandy for player options but it still takes over all the file types in folder options. I had everything set to open with MPC-HC and all the icons set the way I wanted them but since installing DivX, if I click to revert back to default it sees DivX as default and not MPC-HC. It's a real PITA to have to hit revert back to default, change the icon back to MPC and then set MPC again as default player for every single file that DivX took over.

By using regedit, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command\ %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1 %2 , it should've kept DivX from changing anything in folder options, file types. It works for other programs that hijack file types.

Once a program takes over file types, the only way to make things right again is to uninstall the program and use the registry hack above to to reinstall the program but for some reason, DivX still took over some of my file types.

DivX has never taken over my file types until DivX Plus.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Does this commercial DiVX go extra-miles that XViD, FFmpeg, AC-3, lame and x264 can not go that far?
    I do not know coz I never used it before.
    Quote Quote  
  10. DivX Plus ver 8 Software automatically made itself the default playback software upon installation causing me to have to go back and not only untick it in their options, but go back into windows folder types and undo them all there too! I don't want it to take over my system as default playback, thank you very much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have always like the DIVX software and just upgraded to DivXPlus. It is doing something I don’t understand.

The new DivX Plus player now activates my router when I play any AVI or Divx file. Why is that happening? Why is it trying to phone home? I emailed tech support and haven’t received a reply yet. None of my other players are doing this. I’m back to using Nero and Windows Media Player until I know what it’s doing.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grecco2 View Post
    DivX Plus ver 8 Software automatically made itself the default playback software upon installation causing me to have to go back and not only untick it in their options, but go back into windows folder types and undo them all there too! I don't want it to take over my system as default playback, thank you very much!
    There is a registry hack to keep programs like Nero from hijacking your file types but DivX must've gone to great links to bypass this since it does not work with DivX Plus.

Forfitron said there were lots of complaints about this on their forums and it sounded like they were working on it to get it fixed but my brother just installed the newest release and it is still hijacking all the file types and making itself the default program so that you can't just revert back to whatever your default player was because it kills whatever memory that Windows had that the original player you had was your default player.

Just changing your default player to something else does nothing to make those changes in Explorer > File Types and not only do you have to change the player there, you have to manually change every single icon that it has changed. It's a total PITA.

Can you install DivX Plus without installing the player? That might fix the problem but it's hard to say since DivX went to so much trouble to make it hijack your files in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    There is a registry hack to keep programs like Nero from hijacking your file types but DivX must've gone to great links to bypass this since it does not work with DivX Plus.

Forfitron said there were lots of complaints about this on their forums and it sounded like they were working on it to get it fixed but my brother just installed the newest release and it is still hijacking all the file types and making itself the default program so that you can't just revert back to whatever your default player was because it kills whatever memory that Windows had that the original player you had was your default player.
    DivX did not go to any great lengths to make this happen intentionally... honestly, it was just an oversight. DivX Plus Software (v8) is VERY different than DivX 7, so in all the work and attention that went into the new features, it's bound to happen that a few things get overlooked.

As I already mentioned, there's an issue logged against this so it'll be fixed, but if you need any help in the meantime, go to http://support.divx.com and they can try to help you out.
    You'll find me at:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Problem solved, I’m no longer having unwanted router activity and the software is working properly. I like DivXPlus.

I’m impressed the DivX Support Team. They did a great job in finding an answer to my problem. I was trying to open an AVI file that had an unsupported WMV video stream. They also found I needed an updated video driver. I didn’t ask them about that, it was part of their trouble shooting. I had just bought the card and thought all the drivers were up-to-date. I was having minor problems with the video card and thought it might just need adjusting. They even provided a link to the new driver.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have own DivX Plus 8. It have latest DivC plug-in updated function. It still have DivX Converter, DivX Web Player, DFX Audio Enhancer and etc, plus interesting interface on its player.
    Quote Quote